Latest Sales Information

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Photo Engineer, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get information from mulitple sources on the current status of film and chemical sales. Here is the latest, unconfirmed material from reputable sources. I cannot confirm them nor give you more accurate information.

1. B&W film sales continue to decrease WW.

2. Color film sales hold steady for the time being, mainly bolstered by Motion Picture film sales.

3. Chemical sales are taking a hit due to changes in policy by the major manufacturers and their distributors and by increasing HAZMAT charges. This is hurting the use of analog photography everywhere. This last one has been a killer for me. I can't get Kodak fixer locally anymore very easily. They have to place a rather large order to minimize shipping from the new distribution center and to minimize the HAZMAT charge. KRLF contains sulfuric acid.

4. The government is considering adding new chemicals to the HAZMAT list or the DEA list due to growing concerns over terrorism and the distribution of toxic chemistry. Limits are now placed on sodium and potassium hydroxide solutions, nitric acid, and phenol due to their use in making explosives and drugs. It is illegal to buy flasks and beakers in some states now. The list continues, but the noose tightens thereby.

This all saddens me deeply.

PE

2. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is just stupid. I don't know what else to say. There's a thread in the Soapbox about the War on Science. That thread focuses on religion as being the anti-dote to science. Politics, fear and bureaucracy is adding to the mix.

Regards, Art.

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What about diesel and fuel oil? Either can be used in the manufacture of one of the most popular explosives, not to mention their role in the refining of certain narcotics...

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We are all going paranoid.

And that PE has a hard time to get Kodak Fixer in Rochester... It's so weird.

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forget that stuff. Plenty of stuff in the grocery store that can kill :surprised:

6. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    B&H as well as others have always shipped TF4 fixer.

7. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps the lack of B/W labs and processing is hurting B/W film sales; not everyone can (or wants to) process at home. I think the reversal kits for Tmax have been a tough to ship item for a few years. At least there are alternatives like DR5 processing. I wonder if some of the shipping restrictions will affect Bostick & Sullivan. On a good note, I saw a sun printing kit at Barnes & Nobles the other day; which I think was a cyanotype kit.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don't I know it...

The problem is that "those in charge" don't, and if they did they'd ban it.

Except that they ought to know that the most used explosive in the world is AnFo, and they can't ban either component and hope for another term in office...

9. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Anyone with normal range of motion. water, a dark space for loading, a tank with reels, and the chemicals can process b&W 35mm and 120. LF is more complicated. If forced, you could do without the tank and reels and use a bucket with the chemicals in the dark. It is entirely possible that someone chooses not to process their own film, of course.

Mike

10. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think only a few pro labs have done B&W in this city for 20+ years. I can't remember when you could drop off B&W at the local drug store etc and get back prints.

11. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    PE's comments are among the scariest I have read as far as being able to continue analog photography. I guess the only thing to do is to stock up on raw chemicals before they are banned.

If the scare mongers don't get us, the religious wrong might.

12. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder if apug is now on the terror watchlist? :surprised:

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They don't ban guns. Do they?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's nothing! On Sept. 11, 2001 JET AIRPLANES killed THOUSANDS of people in New York City! They must be BANNED immediately!!! Every jet plane must be rounded up and destroyed! We must all go back to propeller-driven airplanes, or better still, trains and ocean liners!
    Sigh................

16. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    So what were WW Black and White film sales? Just out of curiosity?

17. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I said I couldn't be specific.

Not wouldn't, couldn't. I don't have them, just general statements from 'anonymous donors'. :D

PE

18. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :rolleyes:

19. Gary892

Gary892 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So for me this begs the question. How long do powdered chemicals last and how does one tell if they are still good after a period of time?

Gary

20. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    True, but in the US, both the trucking industry and the farm industry have huge lobbies who can head off any sort of legislation that would hinder their trade. We're just a group who most people today figure are probably just taking pictures to scope out targets.

21. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So APUG needs a lobbyist? :confused:

22. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well, how about ballpark? What I am getting at is that there are very stable industries worldwide today with (what I am guessing) are fractions of worldwide black and white film sales...now, having said that, I am not familiar with size of plant/minimum production/overhead etc. to make it profitable, but I suspect that there is still 'enough' worldwide demand so as not to 'sound the alarm'.

23. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, just this year another photo company (B&W only) went out of business. Kodak and Ilford seem to be holding their own. That is all I can say. This is in the face of the fact that Ilford does not publish data and Kodak won't talk. So, my data have to come from "donors". Sorry.

PE

24. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For someone who just purchased a LF camera/lens with more stuff needed, this is bothersome. Makes one pause and think. Makes me wander just how much more money I should be willing to spend to get my new life in LF up and running. For now, I will not let the thought of this rule my decisions.

Chuck

25. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well my, my, insn't this a cheery thread..

I have Technidol and Rodinal stashed, but only 5 1 gallon packets for fixer.

I shoot a little bit of B&W for now since I am up to my neck in a color project, but I plan to ramp it up in the next 5 years...

What are we going to do in 10-20 year's time?

I want to be shooting.

26. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    C'mon, guys... is it sooooo hard to find sodium thiosulfate as a raw chemical around your town ? I can find it very easilly here, at least for the moment... I can also buy dangerous chemicals that are (theoretically) banned...

If ever sodium thiosulphate cannot be found, isn't there a way to MAKE it, using other chemicals that are easier to get ?