Layton cameras

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jeroldharter, Oct 21, 2007.

1. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I searched old posts but nothing definitive. Are these 4x5 cameras being made and does anyone use them? I remember a review which was very positive.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I handled one at PMA a few years back but it was the only one I have ever seen. On a few minutes' acquaintance it looked and felt very nice. I've not been able to get hold of the maker, though admittedly, I've not tried very hard. It was on the Better Light (scanning back) stand: try going through them.

Cheers,

Roger

3. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We discussed the Layton Cameras on Large Format Forum last year and the fact that their release was still delayed. I still do not believe that the new camera has been released. I saw one at Photo Plus several years ago.

Here is the link to their websiste:

http://www.laytoncamera.com/

Rich

4. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw one at the VCC a few years ago. It was a gorgeous machine, and Layton himself was demonstrating it with great dexterity. The lens mount was innovative with spring clips and I seem to recall there were some other cool features as well. The two negatives were its price, (which was projected in the $3000 range), and weight....i.e. it wasn't as light as one might have expected it to be for aluminum. Since then, I've heard nothing further about it. The review was written by Kerry Thalmann, so you might PM him for news if there is any.

5. rkmiec

rkmiec Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    the website says it is $3995. it is a nice piece of equipment but i think it is fair to say it is way over priced for the standard 4x5 market.i think i would get a ulf camera if i had that kind of money to throw around.