Leaf shutter lubrication or cleaning?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Obskura, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Obskura

Obskura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi everyone,
    Let me start by apologizing, because I'm sure this is a common question, but from my searches, I cannot find a simple answer (perhaps there isn't one?). I have a 47mm 5.6 schneider from 1970 in a Synchro Compur #00 shutter, and the leaf shutter is sticky at all speeds. It'll fire, but there's no continuity every time I fire it at one speed. I'm wondering if I need to do the lighter fluid thing (or is that not a good idea?) or just re-lubricate it, or what?
    Many thanks in advance!

2. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If this shutter is important to you I'd have someone else do the work. Someone who has done hundreds of similar or identical shutters will know exactly how to do it, because they have done it before.

I'm not trying to be flippant but working on these things takes time. Learning as you go will eat up plenty of it.

3. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think that any manufacturer of a leaf shutter recommends that "lighter fluid thing" as a way to service a shutter.

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The blades of a leaf shutter should never be lubricated. This will cause then to be slow or to stick.

These shutters a very delicate and easily damaged. In addition they are actually more complicated than they seem. Seek a professional repair shop to clean it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  5. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it depends how valuable the shutter is and how keen you are to spend money on it. FWIW, I had a sticky compur shutter in a retina IIIc. I DID do the "lighter fluid thing" (I actually used spray isopropyl alcohol) to flush as much oil as I could from the shutter leaves and mechanism. I then gently lubed the bearings and contact points with a little watch oil. (which are easily exposed) I didn't really know what I was doing, but >1 year on the shutter is still snappy. I don't think the DIY approach risks damaging the shutter particularly. (Don't physically touch the shutter blades other than with the lightest brush) Worst case it ends up back where you started - oiled up, and you have to get it professionally cleaned.