Leaky Developing Tank

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by newcan1, Feb 13, 2013.

1. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a couple of stainless steel small developing tanks (1x35mm) with the standard black plastic lids. I used one yesterday, and to my horror, it leaks like a sieve. It's almost like the chemicals panic and scale the stainless steel walls of the tank in a rush to get out, even when it's not inverted. It's almost scary.

I only switched to using said tank because the stainless lid on my regular stainless tank broke - the light baffle fell off.

Is there supposed to be an O ring or something inside the plastic lids? I assume they are designed for inversion agitation, so there must be something wrong somewhere. I really don't want to buy a new tank, and if there is an obvious fix, that would be great.

2. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may need to get some replacement lids they do not have o rings or gaskets, they are a compression fit..... I know that freestyle has some.

3. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are they a standard size so that I don't need to know the manufacturer etc?

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check to make sure you haven't accidentally switched the lids between the tanks.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check the lid carefully I have had one crack and begin to leak. Replacement lids are readiy available and they come in a standard size to fit all SS tanks.