learning to focus the RZ

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JessicaDittmer, Mar 9, 2012.

1. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wowza this thing is heavy and big...I have small hands but trying to figure out where to put them while focusing the knob and the tendency to want to support the lens has me all tied up and awkward....any tips welcome! on my test polaroids I'm not quite getting the focus on the wl viewfinder with magnifier. I've since swapped and put the prism on hoping that may help me more. Shot a roll of Delta HP 400 today in Sunny Breezy Iowa of my boys to test both of my lenses that cam with the camera and test if I like the prism view better. I want to test in studio soon too! Not sure I have the right chems here to process myself so I'll probably send them off and wait IMPATIENTLY for the result of my playing...:whistling:

so, if I can figure out the best way to hold this monster and do this I won't look like a freak when I use it :blink:

2. Zewrak

Zewrak Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tried the manual? They sometimes have some interesting takes on it. Don't know about the RZ but others do. :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

3. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I cradle mine in my left hand,focus with my right thumb and forefinger and hit the shutter release with my middle right,easy!Try it.

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want to hand-hold it then the L handle thingy is indispensable. As an alternative a monopod is handy.

5. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    usually manuals do go into positioning specs but I don't see that in mine LOL - Alan, I've been doing that (it cradles in my forearm as well since I have smaller hands, wrists,etc. I think I'm focusing that way too and I'l try the no letting go but adding the middle finger LOL! for the shutter...will see if that helps me be steady and not as awkward. thanks! I have a cramp in my left bicep right now LOL

6. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks Keithwms- I'll look into that too!

7. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My cousin is a 7 foot guy and he finds these cameras ergonomic ! Here these cameras been sold to any photo studio and I did not see one at ones hand but on a heavy tripod. Wear steel covered steel workers shoes until you lose control of the camera :smile: Good luck.

8. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    finding the prism easier to use for focus than the waist level and magnifier on it....here is a quick polaroid shot tonight with the fuji 3000b film. I think this one went better. polaroidpups.jpg

9. cantore

cantore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my RZ67 :smile: Its simple like Alan W said. I walk around using mine handheld using a cable release with my light meter hanging from my neck. After the first week using it that way i got use to it and the weight.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  10. arpinum

arpinum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have my left hand under, but using my palm to take the weight and having my fingers pointing forward toward the lens. Right hand on right side of body. Almost forming a 90 degree 'V' with my hands.

I wouldn't try to have 1 hand position to cover everything. Its ok to focus in one configuration, then pause and readjust for your shot.

11. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wow your hand goes all the way across cantore LOL I have small hands... arpinum, thanks for your method too. switching from the 90 to the 180 threw me for a loop again then as well since there was even more weight out front. I can see lots and lots of "hands on" practice is required LOL. I appreciate all the help!

12. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you using a strap with it?

13. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes for sure lol

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Gerry M

Gerry M Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The monopod is a very good idea. When I didn't want to use a tripod with my RB, I used a monopod with a tilting head. With the RZ/prism finder, push the pod leg forward 12"-18", lean the RZ back towards your body, tilt the camera forward (level) and use your upper body & eye contact to steady all. Use a remote release. Works great. PM me if you want particulars.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  16. jgbogner

jgbogner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you used the grip holder? That's what I use.

>>> Jim

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an RB67, but it should be similar.

Waist level finder only (it is lighter!). If you are having trouble with the magnifier, check in case someone has switched to a non-standard diopter correction.

Shorten the neck strap if you can do so comfortably (this suggestion may vary with gender:whistling:).

Left hand grip with built in shutter release!

If I don't have the grip, the left hand goes under the base of the camera, with the left hand index figure on the shutter release.

Right hand adjusts everything, although left thumb may be able to help with focus.

With the 180mm lens, you really want at least a mono-pod.

18. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try the L Grip as previously mentioned.
    I find it indespensible when hand holding my RB with a neck strap.

19. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my RZ, but I have a bum back. I hardly ever shoot it without some sort of a "pod."

Tri-Pod...Mono-Pod, or...Bag-Pod.

If I do a walk-about downtown, I just keep the bag-pod mounted on the camera.
    I can usually find something to set or balance the camera on.
    Fire hydrant, parking meter, mail box, etc...

Below is a link for a Bag-Pod, so you know what I'm talking about.
    Mine doesn't have a strap, but does have the common 1/4 X 20 threaded stud,
    just like any other pod. My bag-pod is old and a bit scruffy looking,
    but the bottom of my camera is still pristine.

Marc

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/762981-REG/The_Pod_GR0079_The_Green_Pod_Camera.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  20. landscapepics

landscapepics Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm picking up lots of useful hints here as I've hardly ever taken my RZ off a tripod - and a very sturdy tripod at that. So maybe I'll try a little hand-holding with the RZ. On the other hand (oops, a pun) I find a Yashicamat TLR comes in as a handy substitute when the tripod isn't practical. I find it hard to image using the RZ hand-held at less than 1/400s whereas the TLR will comfortably operate at 1/30s.

21. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep one of the main reasons a TLR is so great. Never understood the huge impact of MF SLRs other then 100% focal accuracy and interchangeable lenses. The latter of which my c330's deal with.

Anyways my comment about the strap was in reference to using the RZ in TLR-like fashion - assuming it has a WLF.

22. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i love using my rollei and hassy for smaller MF and this one is new for me - I will check out your suggestions! I can try it without using the magnifier too - I'm use to using a wlf with my others even though I have a prism for the hassy I didn't like it as well. This one I don't seem to mind. I have a test roll #1 shot and will continue to try some things til I find what I like. Never tried a monopod before but I do have sturdy tripods. more experimenting!

23. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems that you are learning two things here, familiarity with a strange camera, and focussing on a strange screen/viewfinder. Possibly, you are distracted by the strangeness of the new camera. Try putting the thing on a tripod and focussing on various objects. Don't worry about exposing film, just practice and concentrate on focussing on different objects under different lighting conditions. These are bulky cameras, they take a bit of getting used to.

24. homeiss

homeiss Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use an RB67 and RZ67 with an L-grip and have got good results at as low as 1/60s.

Before I had the grip, I used to cradle it in my right hand, with my index finger on the shutter release, then I'd use my left hand for focusing and aperture/shutter work. I bought the RB67 grip with trigger release and it works for the RB as well as RZ system. I picked mine up for $35.

25. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may find it easier to work with a pistol grip. The Mamiya grip and Nikon grip both have triggers.
    The angle of the Nikon grip can be rotated to adjust for comfort but a set would be:
    The Grip, tripod adapter(many are missing) cable release and adapter for the release. It uses a Leica/Yashica style thread and would need an adapter to use a standard release. The adapter is VERY uncommon.
    Any way, the grip places the weight directly over your hand, left index finger on the trigger and your right hand can advance, focus and set lens. The "L" grip will tend to pull the camera downward on the right side. Think teeter totter with one child.

26. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks! I'm going to look at getting a grip too -I think it would help. I am improving already though after lots of playing.