Leather conditioner on leather trim on Rollei?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

Whats your thought on applying a very thin coat of leather conditioner on leather trim on my Rollei? The leather on it is very good condition, though maybe it help? Or should I not do it?

Todd

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is the covering actually REAL leather?

3. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What kind of conditioner? Lexal is fine. A water-based conditioner like NikWax is fine but doesn't really do much on a sealed leather like the Rollei stuff. I wouldn't use Mink Oil or any paste conditioner. And don't use an actual polish, especially with color. The color will keep rubbing off on jackets or shirts and such.

Small amount of anything, and be certain to have time to let it dry. Best to do a test on the bottom just in case.

4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm fairly sure it is not leather on the later cameras but "leatherette" whatever that may be. I'm not even sure the covering on my (1930s) Standard is leather. There's also the possibility that whatever treatment is used might a) seep into the camera and b) loosen the glue holding the covering to the camera.

5. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Most "leathers" especially those that are fixed to surfaces will be sealed. Anything you put on is unlikely to do any good, and is just as likely to damage the coating. I wouldn't bother. I don't know what rollei use specifically, but I would be surprised if it was even "leather"

6. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's leather, up to a Rolleicord Va(II) model at least (1960?).

7. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys.. how about Armor All?

Todd

8. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No.

9. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Noted.. Thanks. Cleaning with slightly damp cloth?

10. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also.. How about Kodak lens tissue for wiping lens?

Todd

11. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes!, slightly damp cloth is best. I would be wary of any lens tissue that contains alcohol, as it might remove/damage the surface. Alcohol certainly removes the colour coating on Ilford under-lens filters! Don't ask me how I know...........

"leather" is a very generic term. Much leather these days is "colour coated" or even laminated with a "plastic" surface. The body of the fabric might even be compressed leather fibres that have previously been macerated with adhesive and is "leather" only to the extent that there is some animal protein in there (bit like cheap burgers). Coated and finished leather is designed to be waterproof up to a point and resist stains, and most "leather" restoring products won't penetrate. I have no idea what "leather" rollei originally used.

12. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. Use a good proprietary lens cleaning fluid, too, and follow directions in the Rollei owner's manual for cleaning.
    You best approach is to keep the caps on the lens at all times you are not actually using the camera.
    More lenses - by a very wide margin - are damaged by improper cleaning than by any other cause.

13. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A good article on lens cleaning. Written for telescopes, but they are absolute fanatics compared to photographers. A selling point for many telescopes is 'never been cleaned,' meaning the chance of micro-scratches is minimal. Of course, they are usually used in calmer conditions, less wind and dust, etc.-

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3_page.asp?id=103