Leave well enough alone.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boy do I feel like an idiot. The Nikkor 28-70 3.5-4,5 lens was given me by a friend had a slight problem.You had to give it a bit of a twist to get it past 35mm.Nothing major but a bit annoying.
    I decided on this rainy afternoon to see if I could fix it myself and now cannot get the front element to screw into the main body. Can anyone tell me if I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike,

Do you have the spanner wrenches that work with the retaining rings, if not, sometimes the ring is flexable enough to bend a bit, and will not allow the threads to engage, they should screw in clockwise.

Dave

3. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You know, I also always seem to take things apart and get in over my head....

Must be a familial trait, eh Mike? :smile:

4. djklmnop

djklmnop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained :smile:

5. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had one spec of dust on a focusing screen once.... now I have two scratches and a marred area... and the original spec. I know how you feel...

6. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hate to sound sexist but I think it might be "a guy thing". When something is a little bit off kilter, just slightly left of center so to speak, our minds over ride our better judjement and its out to the tool shed we go. Be it a camera,car,toaster,or microwave nothing seems unfixable.
    I like the words of wisdom often quoted by our Canadian guru of home repair, Red Green. "If it ain"t broken,
    you"re not trying hard enough"
    I will be posting for a replacement lens in the near future.Although the Nikkor was a gift to me I had given it to my girlfriend. She has forgiven me,sort of,but mon oh man our couch sure is uncomfortable to sleep on.
    "If life hands you a lemon,
    make lemonade"

Good Lighting All,
    Mike-of-the-many-thumbs