LegacyPro Mic-X

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Born2Late, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone done a comparison between the results obtained from LegacyPro Mic-X and Kodak Microdol-X (when it still existed)?

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't used the Legacy product but the MSDS lists the same ingredients as for Microdol X which are sodium sulfite, sodium chloride and Metol.

3. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe Legacy Pro chems are re-badged Kodak products. I have been using their L-76 which behaves exactly like D-76. I understand Freestyle has/had a contract with Kodak on a number of products that were re-badged, e.g., Arista Premium films. Perhaps someone will chime in and confirm.

4. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some are identical, some are not. The L-110 is widely reported to be different from HC-110, at least not syrupy however similarly it may work. I use the brown toner (because I can't get Kodak) and it works fine, and I use their rapid fixer because the 5 gallon size is just right where the Kodak is only available in 1 gallon (order too often) and 10 gallons (too much.) The price difference is so close on the stuff still available from Kodak I don't see any reason to favor one over the other on that basis.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak no longer manufactures chemicals they are made by Champion. A look at the MSDS for both HC-110 and L-110 shows that the two developers are very different.

6. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think most people know Champion makes the Kodak stuff. The question some people have had is whether Champion also makes Legacy Pro. Apparently not. Someone here earlier reported they are made by the company that used to make Unicolor, which is quite possible.

7. Rolfe Tessem

Rolfe Tessem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Legacy Xtol clone sold by Freestyle is identical to Xtol, at least insofar as I can determine.

8. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Microdol-X has an additive (the 'X') that prevents dichroic fog. Without the X the old Microdol metol/sulfite/chloride formula is unusable with any modern film - where Tri-X is modern. I suppose it might work with Efke or whatever Comecon film is still in production.

The 'X' is generally held to be a mercaptan, possibly aminopolycarboxylic acid, or as Kodak so helpfully states in their patents "... a sequestering agent selected from the group consisting of oligomeric carboxylic acid substituted hydrocarbons ..."

I emailed Photographers' Formulary about stocking aminopolywhatsit but never heard back. Maybe I should prod them. But as I bought a 10+ year supply of M-X when they announced discontinuation I'm not in any hurry.

TMax-100 in Microdol-X has about the same level of grain as Tech Pan, though it doesn't have TP's gradation wherein 35mm can look like 4x5 with modest enlargement.

9. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it wasn't usable with modern films, they wouldn't sell it. Also consider Ilford Perceptol.

10. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yeah, good luck getting the name of that Mercaptan from the vest pocket of Photo Engineer....and I don't think Kodak would let Champion use it.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you look at the Legacy Pro MSDS sheets they are made by PSInc who were/are the manufacturers of Unicolor chemistry as well.

As Champion are under contract to Kodak there wouldn't be any issues using any chemicals.

Ian

12. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ok then: how can we test whether or not the Legacy product has the secret X?

13. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe find a film that has excessive fog in D-25/23 and then test in both real Microdol-X and then in Legacy?

14. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It has a silver sequestering agent - of that you can be sure. It probably isn't the same one used by Kodak, but that shouldn't matter.

15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Microdol-X was brought out because of Dichroic fog issues with a new generation of Kodak films, it's seems to have been a US issue as Kodak kept selling Microdol in the UK for a while. Kodak Ltd made the Kodak films for the UK and Europe and there were differences in Tri-X in particular to the extent taht that the datasheets gave different times for film made in the US, Canada & the UK.

With the modern films I've tried there's no need for a silver sequestering agent. I ran some tests about 5 years ago with a cross between D25 and Microdol/Percetol. Essentially D23 lus Sodium Chloride and a small amount of Potassium Metabisulphite

Ian