Leica 5 cm Summicron f2 or Voigtlander 40mm 1.4, which one to keep?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Vsanzbajo, May 9, 2012.

1. Vsanzbajo

Vsanzbajo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Both are in great shape. Unfortunately, I need to sell one. Which one would you keep and why? I think I will sell the Voigtlander, but I want to hear your opinions.
    Thanks in advance.

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's your use of the lens? Do you do a lot of low-light shooting? If you have a need for the extra stop, I'd keep the Voigtlander. If not, then keep the Leica.

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No question, keep the Summicron. The reason being it's 50mm.

4. M. Lointain

M. Lointain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No contest. Keep the Summicron.

5. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unless you need the money, keep the Leica.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Summicron is excellent at f2 and if I had both unless I really needed the extra speed I'd keep it. It's better made and will last a lfetime and also retain its value.

I shoot a lot of low light work and in practice rarely shoot wider than f2.8, I have f1.4 lenses for my SLR kit.

Ian

7. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Well: it depends upon how much you can get for either: if voigtlander suddenly quits production, surely there are fewer than the total production of the summicron 50mm. You said that it was a 5th, therefore old. If the front element is in great shape it could be worth a bit. But in the final analysis: never sell a Leica

David

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had both and sold the 40/1.4. Nice lens but frankly I thought lacked any true unique character.

9. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My opinion? I'd peddle both of them. They don't fit any cameras I have.:wink:

10. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would sell the one that generates the most money.

11. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You know, this is a really good point. When raising money I've always considered selling possessions to be higher on my 'desperation scale' than either earning more or withdrawing savings. I believe, with the construction trend firmly placed in plastic, any metal lens from the era of film photography can only appreciate in value (over some time scale). Plus 'They don't eat any bread and butter' Nona always said.

I've regretted selling every lens I've ever sold, but narsuitius is right. If you need the money and this is the only way left to you sell the one that makes the most cash and move on. You can buy another when times are better. If the price has gone up consider it interest on the prior loan. Other wise, if you have any wiggle room at all, I'd keep that summicron, for sure.

Good luck,

s-a

12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Never sell a Leica , they are going more and more expensive and when you need it , you could not be able to finance it again. And your photographs will never be the same with another brand.

13. leicarfcam

leicarfcam Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Voigtlander in my opinion is too close in focal length to the 35mm. I have the 35mm Summaron so I would keep the Summicron.

14. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've a preference for the 40mm angle of view.

15. peter_n

peter_n Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like it too but in this case I'd sell the CV. The older Summicrons are plenty sharp and render beautifully. The CV has very little character in comparison.

16. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would sell the CV and keep the Summicron based on intrinsic market value, but you may find that it won't fetch much anyway so is it worth selling?

On the other hand the 40mm CV has a character, both in physical size and rendering, very similar to the Canadian made 35mm Summilux, soft and glowing wide open, sharpening up and becoming a lot more conventional stopped down. OK it may not have the fine bokeh of the Summilux, but it isn't far off. The other thing about the 40mm focal length is that it fits most of the Leica 35mm framelines more tightly, slightly inside the frame or dead on the frameline instead of slightly outside (at average medium to distant focusing distances). Some people find this easier to visualise and deal with when quickly composing the image than imagining how much lies beyond the frame.

Steve