Leica CL and 50/2

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by puketronic, Jul 20, 2014.

1. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Leica CL on the way...

I'm most likely going to get a 40 'Cron/Rokkor, but I am also considering a 50mm f2 lens.

How good/not good is this camera for focusing a 50 f2 lens? Is your hit-rate decent?

I can focus on my M3 at 50/1.5-50/2.0 fine, but with some cameras, like my Contax T, focusing wide open is chancier.

2. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it will focus a 50 f2 just fine -- the problem only comes if you try to focus a wider lens (1.4) when it is wide open because the rangefinder separation is too small. Same applies for a 90 -- it handles an f4 fine, but an f 2.8 is pushing things.

but the 40 f2 is also a really good lens, a titch wider, just as sharp as any 50. If you can find one, highly recommended.

Beware of collapsible 50s, by the way. You can use them, but don't collapse them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
  3. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've read that some users collapse the lenses just fine but the rear part of the lens comes very close to the metering stock. There seem to be different opinions on which lenses collapse safely and which do not.

Question: What about the Elmar-M? I mostly read about the vintage Leica collapsible lenses. If I do decided to go with a vintage collapsible Summitar/Summicron, then I can always use dymo tape, right? Wasn't that Leica's proposed solution?

I'm considering a collapsible Summicron/Summitar or a vintage rigid Nikkor/Canon 50mm f1.8/f2.0 LTM...or I might just stick with that 40 :smile:.

4. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you can use dynamo tape, yes, and with the elmar you should. Also with a summicron/summitar -- not worth the risk, you ask me. They don't collapse that much anyway.

Same goes for a 21, although I have a voigtlander/cosina 15 that works just fine because, while it does protrude a bit, it's not enough.

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stick with the 40/2. Awesome lens, made for the camera. Very compact. You will not regret it.

6. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks.

Yeah, I decided to just stick with the 40 rokkor/summicron :wink:.

7. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm leaving for a camping trip in 2 days. Was set on bringing my Konica Hexar AF and it's awesome 35/2 Hexanon lens with my last few rolls of Plus-X and some HP5+ mostly for shots of my son and friends around the campsite, on hikes and some landscapes. Now you got me wavering and I might bring my CL with my 40/2 Summicron instead.

Darn, thought I had already decided! ;-)

Probably don't matter in the end, both great.