Leica Lens Hood

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by LucyLeica, Feb 17, 2008.

1. LucyLeica

LucyLeica Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Can I use a rectangular lens hood for my 35mm 1.4 pre-asph?

2. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

I know that there is a square one that fits the pre asph 35mm Summicron and I see no reason that this one would not work on a pre asph 35mm Summilux as well. But I must confess that I do not know the model number on this lens hood…

You can also take a look here: http://www.kbcamera.com/lenshoodchart.htm

C

3. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since a Leica lens hood is a topic, let me recount an experience. I was taking pictures in Bryce Canon, when my Leica hood came off and dropped down a cliff. Each time it bounced off the rocks as it disappeared into the depths below, I counted : ten dollars, twenty dollars, thirty dollars.........

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

4. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are 2 official Leica hoods - what is your lens number? In principle, you can use a rectangular hood if it is the right fitting and not too deep and if your lens mount does not rotate while focusing.

Regards,

David

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe the is a ridge on the newer lens and a groove in the hood so the hood doesn't rotate.

6. Confusion Circle

Confusion Circle Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How much is a replacement hood for a 35 Summilux pre-ASPH? Are they still available? I just dropped my M6 onto concrete, and the hood was badly dented. No damage done to the camera though.

7. LucyLeica

LucyLeica Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I know the 35 1.4 pre-asph vented hoods are rare and expensive. You'll probably spend around $125-200 for a decent one.

8. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The current 35mm 42mm clip on cron hoods will fit, but are expensive new or second user, not done a full test but no sign of vignette yet. You get less flare with the square hood.

Noel
    P.S. there is not a notch on the lux to stop the hood rotating and some are close to the aperature ring but an elastic band helps a lot, or a nail file on the hood nubs

9. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well for $4 as a start it's lookin' good. Four days 'til end o' auction should see it with a significant increase by auction's end.
    But in the original post the question was can you use the rectangular hood etc.
    The aspheric 35 summilux uses E46 filters and the pre aspheric E 41 or Series 7 which suggests a different outside diameter and incompatible hoods.
    The early aspherical(90-94)indeed does have a notch in it to keep the rectangular hood from rotating. I don't have a good enough image to verify that the newer models do also.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  12. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regarding the lens hood on Ebay UK. OK, it is not square - it appears to be the Leitz 12504 model. It fits both the pre-asph Summilux and the pre-asph Summicron.

13. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    David
    Yes that is the hood delivered with the (preasp) lux from new.
    Alas it is not very effective other then as a drop stopper, if you fit a series VII filter it is even less effective, as the filter is hardly 'hooded'...
    The current clip in cron hood is a 42mm push on clip in ring hood. This is rectangular and works perfectly at f5.6 or smaller.
    The lux does not have the keys to stop it rotating and the lugs on the aperature ring may just touch, the nubs on the hood. An elastic band will stop the hood rotating.
    The rectangular hood turns the lux in to a nice lens as opposed to a flare queen...
    Noel