Leica M6 Titanium viewfinder frames

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Trask, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I was looking at a used M6 Titanium earlier today and when looking through the finder and moving the lever that shows different frames, I noticed that the widest frame (28mm?) never disappeared even as I moved the lever back and forth. I thought the M6 showed six viewfinder frames in three pairs, with the widest frame disappearing on the "middle" setting.

Can anyone tell me if the camera I'm looking at needs repair, or could this be standard on these cameras?

2. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think it needs repair

3. jmcd

jmcd Member

I have a regular M6, and the 28mm frame lines do disappear when the 35 or 50 sets are selected. But mine actually are a little sticky, and I sometimes have to flick the lever or reset the lens.

4. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As JMCD, my old M6 (1986) also just shows two frames at time so, it most likely needs repair.

5. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It probably needs a CLA..clean, lubricate, adjust. Generally this is not an expensive or time consuming item. If you let us know what part of the world you call home I'm sure we can provide some references for repair techs.

Best regards,

Bob

6. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for your confirmation of what it should look like. The interesting thing is that this camera is available in a camera repair shop and it "just had" a CLA and comes with a 90 day guarantee. Guess I'll have to go look again.

7. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do have an M6Ti (classic) and the 28mm frame behaves exactly as my other M6.

8. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My M6 "classic" only shows the 28mm frame along with the 90mm one.
    (35+135, 50+75, 28+90)

9. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The M6 Titanium is just a titanium coating. there are a few M7's and I believe MP's that have a a body of titanium but these are at astronomical prices.-Dick