Leica Mini, care in leather case and does it help fungus ?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Leica Mini and I care it in its leather case. Does it help fungus ?

Umut

2. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For carrying a camera I believe a case is good protection.

I have always understood that it is a bad idea to store a camera for an extended length of time in a leather case.

As well, I have always understood that it is best a camera be stored outside of any case or camera bag.

I store my cameras on a upstairs shelf, dry, dust free and clean.

No fungus.....so far.

3. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fungus is not, I don't think, related to the case but to the general atmosphere in which the camera is stored -- cool and dry is best, warm and moist is worst. For long term storage take the batteries out, if any, and store in an air-tight case with something to absorb moisture -- one of those "do not swallow" dissicant thingies that come with most electronics these days, or even just a small cloth bag with some uncooked rice.

Carrying the camera in its leather case while using it certainly won't hurt it -- for that, bumps and scratches are the greater hazard, not fungus.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe in letting my cameras and lenses breathe and keeping them in enclosed airless spaces can't do them much good, or the chemicals used in tanning the leather in ER cases or gadget bags. I keep my cameras and lenses in heavy duty cotton canvas Domke camera bags made of material that's breathable, not nylon bags, and have never had any problem with condensation or fungus, and I've owned most of my gear for more than 25 years.

5. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am of the same belief. Let them breath. Humidity in my Country; during Summer; does not go above 50%

6. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fungus spores are in the air all around us, all your camera equipment is already in contact with them. What they are waiting for are the right conditions to grow, which are warm, humid, and dark. Keep them cool and dry and the fungus will not grow, and UV light will kill it should it start.

Steve