Leica R lenses - where are they??

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by michael_r, Mar 9, 2012.

1. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Why are there seemingly so few used late model R lenses out there for sale? I've been looking and looking for a 2.8 90mm for my dad's R9.

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  3. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a lot of digital photographers use them because they are such good glass -- they can be adapted to Canon digital slrs...KEH has an ever-changing selection, check there often.

4. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's true, people who have them tend to hang on to them...

5. dugrant153

dugrant153 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In my attempt to get into the Leica R system, I too tried looking for R lenses.
    In regards to being very popular (and thus expensive), I agree with the previous poster about people with other systems buying them up. All the good ones get bid up to crazy prices.
    I searched KEH and saw some decent ones I would've considered but I would've been killed on the customs charges due to UPS brokerage fees, etc. If you're in the US, then I think KEH or even Adorama might be good.

6. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why don't Leica make SLR lenses for other makes now the R System's gone?

And how much better is that lens going to be than a Planar 85mm 1.4 brand new for half the price down to 2.8?

7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is always this way/place http://www.postandparcel.com/package-holding.php

8. Ben Marks

Ben Marks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is who I use: http://www.tsbshipping.com/

Point Roberts is just a 15 minute drive for me.

10. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In the scheme of things, Leica sold very few SLRs and lenses so they will be a bit difficult to find and hence, not be cheap. As for Leica making SLR lenses in different mounts, probably a licensing issue if Canon, etc. patented their mounts. Probably, they'd only make DSLR lenses today. But, again probalby at the prices they'd have to charge would mean few would be sold. They might fo well worth the prime lens market as it still is not being exploited well by the makers.

They might do well in the micro 4/3rd market as it seems it is gorwing at the expense of the DSLR market. As it is a universal mount, the market for a single lens would have a broader market.

It would have been great it the company had come out with a line of lenses say with the M42 mount or for use with the adapt-all system that was so popular but that time has long past I think.

11. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Their production capacity is fully committed just to support their own systems. They have a months-long backlog of orders for M lenses despite ever-higher prices, and they have plans for further development of the M and S systems and possibly for a future mirrorless digital system.

12. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A dealer I often buy from - www.vintage.visuals.com - has a selection (which changes constantly) of used Leica R lenses. No 90mm at present, but you can check in from time to time. He is based in Calgary so you don't have to deal with customs/exchange rates/extortionate shipping, etc. I have dealt with Vintage for over a decade and have the prices there to be reasonable and the grading to be quite consistent.:munch:

13. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The R lenses I've seen lately have still been less than M's