Leica R3 and R7 exposure wrong

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Boris Mirkov, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Boris Mirkov

Boris Mirkov Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got some Leicas, two R3's and one R7 and they all show me the wrong exposure result (and the same one, too). For instance, when the time is 1/125th the needle shows 1/125th of a second but the shutter goes slower, according to my ears it is 1/30th. I am using fresh SR44 batteries.

2. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't go by my ears on this one Boris. Not sure about the R7, but my R3/4/5 cameras used to sound really slow too, but it was the gyrations of all the mirror damping after the shutter had fired. To be sure, get yourself a shutter tester that runs on Audacity. I bought one years ago for $25 on eBay and it has proven invaluable for determining how my exposures are going to come out even before I load film into a camera.

3. Boris Mirkov

Boris Mirkov Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks momus for the reply. I compared sounds manual shutter speed vs Av mode, maybe I can't determine precise shutter speed but I am pretty sure that it is lower than the one shown in the viewfinder. I would try and test them with one film but I am so certain that the cameras are off with the metering that I don't want to waste film on seeing the obvious. :smile:

4. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ear

It seems to me film is a better indicator of shutter speed than the ear. What your ear thinks is besides the point, what comes out on film is the whole ball game, as we say.

5. Boris Mirkov

Boris Mirkov Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure if I said it correctly, I don't think that the shutter is broken because it all seems OK when I try the shutter speeds manually, the 1/30th of a second sounds good as do the other speeds, so if I used the camera in manual mode, everything would be alright. The problem appears when I go into automatic mode, in which case the shutter speed needle in the viewfinder shows the correct exposure value but the sound of the shutter itself is slower than the one I see. In particular, 1/125th sounds like 1/15th of a second.