Leica R3

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mark Layne, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Anybody had a problem with a Leica R3/Minolta XE-7 which has erratic shutter speeds when set on 'automatic'?
    Mark

2. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What does "erratic" mean? Wrong speeds giving bad exposure or the shutter not running properly and giving uneven exposure? I have 3 examples of R3, they were virtually identical insofar as they had been amateur owned and looked after well, were cosmetically in mint condition, had not been used for a long time and needed servicing to deal with the same 2 problems, firstly perished door seals, and secondly a dirty (oxidized) commutator ring that transferred aperture values and resulted in the meter giving around 2 stops over-exposure. At no time did I have a shutter sticking or running unevenly, although I am sure this is possible. If your camera is like mine, all the problems are caused by lack of use rather than wear or component failure, which means that a CLA will cure them all!

3. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Especially the early "R"s were prone to electronic problems...

While most of the "dodgy" one have long been fixed by now, it is (was) the typical problem for these cameras.

4. michiel fokkema

michiel fokkema Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    I've had two R3's. They always used to work perfectly.
    Then I switched to a R8. After a few years in the closet both R3's had developed this problem.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

5. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I Have a XE-7, no troubles, yet.

6. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Yes I think the closet has been part of the problem, but it has not been stored anywhere damp. I don't suppose exercising she thing is going to help any.
    I really like good old chrome and brass cameras

7. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

I must check my XE-7 again. I seem to remember querying something on that shutter too