Leica R6 SLR -- slight lag in shutter? Normal or not?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Trask, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm looking at a Leica R6 body for $390 (but negotiable); when I fire the shutter, at any shutter speed, I get the impression that the camera is hesitating slightly before actually going through the mirror up-shutter open/close - mirror down sequence. Usually, with most cameras I've used (and I've used a lot), there's minimal shutter lag between tripping the shutter and the camera responding. This R6 strikes me as being a bit on the "lazy" side, but I have no other experience with the camera.

Does anyone find that their R6 is like this, or is it more likely this camera has a problem?

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I used Leicaflex and there was anything like shutter lag. I think there might be a problem. Buy R4 and R3 from keh com starting from 80 dollars. Its faraway cheaper than to repair that camera. If it is broke , you buy another one.

Good luck,

Umut

3. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All SLr's work the same general way. You press the button and there's a linkage that releases the mirror which then trips the shutter.
    What you're describing is a slow lever,actuator or even mirror. It needs a CLA to replace/remove the old gunk.
    Depending where you send it it can be reasonable(for a Leica) or expensive(normal)

4. GaryS

GaryS Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, absolutely normal-- the R6 and R7 have a noticeable lag.

5. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Leicaflexes have one of the shortest (possibly *the* shortest) shutter lags of all mirror flipping SLRs, one of several ways in which they're somewhat "rangefinder-like".

The R series are quite different cameras, so comparisons are meaningless.

Haven't used the R6, but the R4 & R5 have somewhat longer shutter lags than many cameras I've used.

6. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But there *are* big differences between cameras even when working perfectly...

7. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The R4s and R6 feel to me like they have noticeable lag compared to the R3 or SL. I haven't used the R8, R9, or R6.2, but I've heard anecdotes that the lag is less with those bodies. I learned to anticipate the R3 lag (which is pretty small) really well during 30 years of almost exclusive use. When using rangefinders, I had to slow down my release a beat to hit my 'mark' in time.

I haven't seen numbers.

Lee

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are differences in lag time, but they all work in a similar manner. Th e shutter is not tripped until the mirror has risen. In that way there are no big differences in SLR's at all.

9. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The R6 uses an electric shutter, and it seems that shutter release is not instantaneous. The R6.2 has a mechanical shutter, but it also has a hefty price tag. But I think it is the best of all the Leica SLR cameras.

10. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both the R6 and the R6.2 have mechanical shutters and no automated electronic modes. The batteries only power the light meter in both these models. The 6.2 adds a 1/2000 shutter speed and some other changes.

Lee

11. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Compared to the R6, the Leicaflex SL & SL2 are better cameras IMHO.

Pros & cons are:

Pros:
    Much better viewfinder & focusing
    Better dampened shutter & mirror
    Much shorter shutter lag
    1/2000
    Shutter speed dial can be moved with the tip of your index finger
    Bigger & heavier = better holding & handling (also a con of course)
    Pretty bomb proof - needs a CLA every few decades

Cons:
    If you want a motor drive, then you need a special model and the motor itself is *huge*
    Some lenses won't fit on the SL (and ROM lenses not on either - slightly simplified statement here).
    Some argue that as an older camera, it's less reliable (I disagree!)
    Some think that the "obsolete battery problem" really is a problem (I disagree!)
    It's big and heavy
    The SL, especially in chrome, has the aesthetics of a 1960's washing machine... :wink:

12. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I looked at an early Leicaflex at a camera fair in France several years ago, and am still trying to figure out the "aerial image" that it presents to the user. Different from a "normal" ground glass image - and brighter.

Thanks for your collected thoughts on the R6 shutter lag. I think it would bother me, the feeling that the camera doesn't react immediately when I press the shutter. My Leica RF cameras have spoiled me.

13. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't feel the lag in all of the SLR's I have used. So if I can feel the lag in any I would think there is a problem.

14. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The first Leicaflex has the "aerial image" you describe, the SL & SL2 are quite different.

The SL has very fine microprisms over the entire surface (a bit similar to a Nikon H screen), which makes focusing extremely easy anywhere in the field, even the corners.
    The SL2 has a more "traditional" looking focusing screen, but still one of the very best I've ever seen for brightness, contrast and the image snapping into focus.
    I do slightly prefer the SL's screen, but the SL2 can use some of my favorite lenses which the SL can't (19mm II, 15mm).