Leica still makes film cameras: a video

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by PKM-25, May 5, 2009.

1. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    From the video we see that the camera arrives from Portugal almost complete and the only work done from that point is to test, apply controls and covering. What we don't see is the M being built/assembled in Portugal! We don't know if the parts are made in Germany and sent to Portugal or sourced worldwide? So is an M really "Made in Germany" as on the camera or made in Portugal as on a pair of Leica binocs I own?-Dick

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But would it neccesssarily matter for the quality in which country something is manufactured?

4. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From my visit of a Nikon plant in Thailand, it's clear that Thai workers were skilled and trained enough to work at Nikon standards.
    Also I had a chance to visit in Indonesia a factory where Eastpack products were made. According the the american production manager, there was absolutely no difference in quality product after that US company moved to Asia.
    It appears that loss in quality would originate in the materials used not in the labour force involved, in such cases.

5. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quality isn't everything. What you expect and feel about a product can be just as important.

6. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I've worked at a few factories here in Japan. Just because something was made here doesn't mean it's high quality.

7. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I can't speak for cameras, but I once owned a Fiat 500 "Bambina" (micro) car, 100% made in Italy, which was just great for city commuting (park on a dime, 70 miles to the gallon of petrol, air-cooled motor). Had it for 40,000 kms (4 years). Much later, I needed a similar vehicle for the same reasons, so I looked around and found that they were still in production (under licence) now made in Poland and renamed as the "Niki", with a 750cc engine. Same great design and recognizable features with a slightly updated body shape.

However: performance-wise like chalk and cheese. Whereas the Bambina gave me four years of trouble-free motoring, the Niki gave nothing but trouble: oil leaks, brake-cylinders, trafficators, fuel gauge, sticking distributor points, all relatively minor but continual: many incapacitating, time-consuming and all irritating. I was so glad when I switched to Hyundai: hardly a problem since! (I'm into my sixth Hyundai).:smile:

Who makes it did seem to matter in this case.

8. Thomas Wilson

Thomas Wilson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great clip, thanks!

I was impressed with Leica's very low volume of production and not concerned with the country of origin of its components. I expect that Leica is content with a very small percentage of a shrinking film camera market, but also enjoys prominence in their niche market, conspicuous consumption.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    100-150 M7 per month.

10. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I never Posted anything about quality or questioned the quality of the M7/MP but only whether the "Made in Germany" on the camera is correct.
    I happen to own 2 M7's with Motor M's and ASPH lenses, so quality is not my concern.-Dick

11. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So true. And many factories in Japan have so many foreign workers working at the 3rd world wages!

12. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think that 'made' and 'manufactured' are quite distinct in product laws.

'Made' can mean assembled, but 'manufactured' means produced.

I used to work for a car parts factory that sourced all its products from overseas but put them in "made in the UK" boxes as there was a minimal amount of assembly done in the UK.

So, for Leica, it may be "manufactured in Portugal" and "made in Germany".

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  13. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For many individuals, the country of origin has a direct effect on their perception of quality.

14. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    And that indeed is the ultimate direction of my original question!-Dick

15. markland

markland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This thread has oodles of bigotry seeping at the seams and between the lines. Wonderful species we are.

16. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Generally speaking, in Japan, people tend to get obsessed with anything that says "German." I think it has a lot to do with Japan's pre-WW2 history...

17. tomasis

tomasis Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    idiocy .. it is about quality, design