Leica summarit filter size?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by randy6, Jan 12, 2007.

1. randy6

randy6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leica summarit filter size?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any one know the filter/lens hood size for 1950s screw mount summarit 5cm/f1.5 Also what you think of the lens quality. I would like to see some color and black and white photo's.

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No experience of lens, but filter size is E41. The lens has a reputation as being a big improvement on the pre-war Xenon (due to the coating), by today's standards I would imagine it has low micro-contrast and a higher tendency to flare.

Regards,

David

3. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PS: I believe I am correct in saying that William Eggleston used something like a Leica IIIF with a SUMMARIT at the start of his picture-taking - maybe this is a recommendation!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
  4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just in case there's some confusion or doubt introduced by the Summitar / Summarit both being mentioned, they are different lenses, and my information confirms the E41 filter size for the Summarit, which is a 50mm f:1.5. The Summitar is a 50mm f:2.

Lee

5. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Summarit 1.5 uses 41mm filters, pretty hard to find, but a few months ago Don Goldberg at www.dagcamera.com had a few at reasonable prices.

The hood for this is the Leitz XOONS, which are on the auction site often, but pretty expensive.

6. randy6

randy6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. for the help