Leicaflex and summicron

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Anton Lukoszevieze, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Anton Lukoszevieze

Anton Lukoszevieze Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was just given a black Leicaflex + 50mm Summicron and other lenses of various lengths. Is the summicron the same as the M summicrons? Can I expect the same quality? Excuse me if a dumb question :smile: Why are M Leicas so much more revered than Leica slrs?

2. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have fun with your camera. Simplify your technique, shoot your life, and make pictures.
    Show them.
    Your Leicaflex will support you wherever you go.

Your camera is more than sufficient to do everything you will want to do, wonderfully well.

4. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume you have the so-called Leicaflex I (with the non-TTL meter and the clear-apart-from-centre-spot focussing screen), rather than a SL or a SL2.

R lenses are just as good or even better than M lenses (generally speaking).
    Both lines of lenses have several "generations", each with slightly different charactersitics.
    The M wide-angles have a natural advantage as far as distortion control is concerned (along with a natural disadvatange for vignetting). Not that in most cases either line is seriously affected by either.

I'm not sure about the 50mm Summicron, however the 90mm ones are the same and the 35mm ones are not.
    As far as my 35mm Summicrons are concerned, I actually find my R one (type 3) much better than my M one (type 4).

R lenses suffered from poor marketing, high prices and being overshadowed by the "M myth". Quality-wise, they are absolutely first rate (with the usual model by model caveats).

5. Anton Lukoszevieze

Anton Lukoszevieze Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks all, it's an early Black Leicaflex Standard from the first batch made in 1963, the Summicron lens is gorgeous and from 1966. I am looking forward to using it a lot :smile:

6. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That was an incredible gift. I've shot with a Leica R4 and 50mm Summicron, and the lens was as good as the 50mm Summicron on my M-Leica.