Leitz Focomat V35 Enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by thefizz, Feb 4, 2008.

1. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I need to find variable contrast filters for a Leitz Focomat V35 Black & White enlarger. I understand this enlarger is for graded paper but I believe you can get under the lens filters. As these may affect the quality of the print, is there any other way of fitting filters into the enlarger head?

Peter

2. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Peter,
    In the days when the V35 was still for sale new, you could buy either an optional Multigrade or colour module. They must still be available on fleabay. Another option are the Ilford Multigrade under the lens filters. They work ok.
    Hans

3. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Peter,

Does yours have the color module? If so, just dial it in -- I can send you a scan of a filter chart for the V35 that shows what filtration to use for the Ilford contrast grades.

Otherwise, you can always buy the acetate filters and just lay them on TOP of the negative or get the Ilford/Kodak under-the-lens filter kits and use them.

Otherwise, I've used the plastic filters under the lens without any problem -- just be sure to focus through the filter and not insert them after focusing for max sharpness.

4. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Hans & Michael. I wish it was the colour version but unfortunately its the B&W version for graded paper. Would the acetate filters placed on top of the negative be a better option than the under the lens filters?

5. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you remember if there is a swinging safelight filter for under the lens. That could hold a multigrade filter.

6. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No swinging filter Fintan. The safelight filter is built into the enlarger head and turned on and off by a little knob/lever.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  7. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Alan9940

Alan9940 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Peter,

I would fit a gel filter on top of the neg carrier before I'd ever use one under the lens but, seriously, if you plan to or do a lot of VC printing on your V35 I'd spring for the multigrade or color head. The use of gels, especially on the neg carrier make it nearly impossible to apply different contrast levels within the same print. I know because I've worked this way for years on my Beseler 45X enlarger with Aristo head.

Good luck.

Regards,
    AlanH

9. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Peter,

The gels on TOP of the negs will be great as long as you're not trying to do split grade printing. If the latter, you'll need to be able to switch filters and for that you'll need to have them below the lens or have the colorhead. If you're just doing single grade, though, laying the gels on top of the neg will work great.

11. david James lee

david James lee Member

Shooter:
    35mm