Leitz Focomat V35 lamp advice

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by thaung, Aug 30, 2011.

1. thaung

thaung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi folks

I own a Focomat V35 since about 6 months back and have been using it quite frequently since then. Mine is the new model that originally uses the Philips 13139 bulb. It so happens that it was exactly that type of bulb that was installed in my enlarger when I bought it.

But, I few weeks ago the bulb stopped working and since the Philips 13139 is no longer manufactured I ordered a Osram 64615 after reading at http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm that it should work. Once installed, it did fit but the enlarger is nowhere near as bright as it was when using the original Philips 13139.

I have done some controlled tests using the P13139 and the O64615 and when just projecting the light without a neg in the carrier the light with the Osram lamp is about 2 stops darker.

I have seen on other sites that this has been discussed before but I wonder how other people here are doing that uses this enlarger. I finally found a Philips 13139 to buy and install, sure enough the enlarger is now as bright as it was when I first bought it.

But how to proceed? I refuse to use the Osram lamp, the enlarger is pretty much useless when printing bigger prints due to the long exposuretimes. Do you guys have any suggestions to other bulbs that work as good as the original 13139 or any other tips or advice regarding replacement bulbs?

2. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. thaung

thaung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, stocking up with a couple of bulbs is a good idea and one I have thought of before. But even though the bulbs do last a very long time I´d like to have a backup plan "if all else fails". It would be great to know if any bulbs currently in production can match the 13139 when used in the V35.

But thank you for the links anyway, I will probably order at least one or two more so I´m good for the forseable future.

4. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Personally if you can still buy the bulb you need, I'd buy 10-20 of them. A lifetime supply.

5. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also use a V35 and I´m very (very) happy with it, so I bought two dozens of spare bulbs... just in case.

6. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Coincidentally, I am looking around for the older style of bulb (Philips 6604) and it looks like there is no alternative to an adapter plus the newer bulb size . . . unless anyone knows different?

7. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. thaung

thaung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regarding the older Philips 6604, I´m quite certain that the only way besides locating the original bulb (quite difficult to say the least), is to replace the lamp-holder with the new type.

And to sum up the discussion regarding the Philips 13139 and Osram 64615, I have done some further testing this week between the two bulbs and have concluded that the Osram bulbs is not in any way an adequate replacement for the Philips 13139. The enlarger simply gets to dark, 2-4 stops depending on what neg used and that is simply put, not ok. Is there anyone that have tried bulbs of any other brand in the V35 that has any other experience?

Anyway, don´t buy the Osram bulb, waste of money.

9. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the link Marcelo. Yes, that is the adapter for which I was hoping there's an alternative! Ah well, it prevents the machine becoming a 'paperweight' so I'll order one and see how it goes.

It's possible the angle of the beam on the Osram bulb is too wide. The width of the light-path seems quite narrow and if the reflector doesn't have a tight beam then a lot of light will never reach the inside of the mixing-box. I'll be doubly sure to locate the new Philips bulb....

10. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found my 13139 bulbs here , but now they seem to be out of stock... :sad:

11. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

With a voltage stabalizer the bulbs last halfway to forever. The other trick is to set the voltage on back of the column to 220 and run the enlarger on 110.

Or buy the original Leitz stabaliser that applies voltage slowly on startup so it take 2/3 sec to reach full brightness. This item cost $400 in 1985 and was $1000 when last made. Good luck finding one. Mine is not for sale.

12. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's not the function of a voltage stabilizer, it only assures a more constant light output (does not compensates for lamp aging). OTOH, a transient suppressor (much cheaper) will do the trick. To be fair, some stabilizers also include a suppressor.

. This way your lamp will last forever... but you will get less than a quarter of its light output and with a severe color shift towards orange. Not viable for color work, and with unpredictable results with multicontrast papers (a softer contrast may be expected, and harder grades may be not reachable).

Finally, there are stabilizers that include a "ramp output" feature. This will, in fact, extend the lamp life many times (forever?).
    The Leitz one does not seem to be one of those, but that's just a guess.

13. Steff1

Steff1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been trying to find the 13139-bulb for ages. There's one Philips 13139 labeled "DENTAL".. same bulb?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here you can find the bulb today. I bought mine at 1/3 that price early this year, but it seems they are gone now...

16. Allen in Montreal

Allen in Montreal Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. thaung

thaung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those new Philips bulbs of the EFN type sounds interesting and would be worth a try. I read somewhere a long time ago that the new Philips EFN should be equal in specs to the old 13139.

Although the Osram is also of the EFN type and that didn´t work out very well. It is a bit strange since it is supposed to have been made to the exact same specs as the Philips bulb.

But 70 dollars for 10 bulbs is a true bargain if they would turn out to work ok.

18. Allen in Montreal

Allen in Montreal Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    At $15 per bulb, which is about double the normal bulb cost, but these lamps last forever, which makes the cost per use next to nothing, I just bought 5 more original lamps.
    That should last me the rest of my life. :smile:

It is one of the greatest enlargers ever made, it is worth the splurge for the right bulb, if you have any doubts about the substitute lamp.

19. henk@apug

henk@apug Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have bought an additional three Philips 13139 lamps. I have now five in total.
    Should keep me going for a while...

I do not know if production of these lamps has stopped, but they were in stock.

20. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The original 13139 lamp is of the EFP type and lasts 1,000 hours.
    The EFN type lamp is not the original, but serves as replacement... and lasts just 50 hours (read the specs).
    So, the cost is far from next to nothing.

21. Allen in Montreal

Allen in Montreal Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think you may have mixed up my statements,
    I was referring to the original bulb, which is 15 dollars per bulb at the moment (read the post with the link to both bulb prices).
    So, at 15 dollars per bulb, the cost per use, is next to nothing.

22. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry Allen, I thought you were commenting about the text you quoted referring to the EFN type.

Anyway, the message is: be careful, EFP=1,000 hr. , EFN=50 hr.

BTW, the eBay add for the "13139" lamp shows the picture of a faceted reflector lamp.
    The real 13139 has a smooth reflector. Maybe the picture is just illustrative, not exactly the lamp for sale.

23. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Suitable replacement

From BULBS.COM

75 Watt, 12 Volt EFN Bulb
    SKU: W-EFN | Ordering Code: EFN
    Base: GZ6.35 Brand: Eiko
    Diameter (in): 2.000
    Energy Used: 75W
    Length (in): 1.700
    Shape: MR-16 Volts: 12

24. Allen in Montreal

Allen in Montreal Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No worries, :smile:
    Very good point on the smooth reflector, thank you for bringing that up. I just took it for granted that if it is the 13139, it will be smooth.
    I have 5 on the way, so I will check them as soon as the arrive and report back for others thinking of stocking up.

25. flemming sarup

flemming sarup Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Allen in Montreal

Allen in Montreal Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The bulbs arrived today, I am on the road, but my daughter sent me pictures.
    They are the original lamp, smooth interior and labeled correctly. The service was good, the shipping was fast and reasonable priced for shipping these days.

$15.00 per bulb.
    You may want to stock up, cause you sure can't beat that enlarger for 35mm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220852399306