Leitz halfbreed

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by maiko9, Jan 15, 2007.

1. maiko9

maiko9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As a consequence of my brother having recently gone digital, I am the lucky recipient of an orphaned Leitz Elmar lens that had been gathering dust in his drawer for the last couple of decades. Having mentioned this to my "CLA Guy", he pulls out a mint condition Fed 2E in the original box from underneath the counter that someone had left some years earlier. He let me have it for $30. Although I'm very happy to have gotten a "Leica" so cheaply, and am satisfied with the Fed, I would appreciate recommendations as to which Leica body would be the least costly to pursue.

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Among Leica collectors, the IIIa is the least regarded, because it was produced in the largest numbers of any screw-thread Leica. A good usable example is still going to cost £200 or more on e-bay and may need a servicing as well. There are of course also the Cosina/Voigtländer cameras to consider (many previous threads on APUG).

Regards,

David

3. maiko9

maiko9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As I CLA every camera I buy, a little servicing is not unexpected. I'm mostly interested in the classics like the A you've recommended, but since you mentioned it, would my collapsible Elmar work on a Voigtlander Bessa L?

4. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I have used this combination - no problem!

5. frank

frank Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a user IIIa for sale at the moment at RFF classified. $175 No connection with seller, etc.