Leitz Thambar 9cm

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by darkosaric, Jan 12, 2014.

1. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I was looking some photos on web made with Leitz Thambar lens, and specially with this special filter with black dot in the center. Very crazy and unusual.
    What I don't understand is how this filter works. Can this filter effect be done with other lenses (for example I modify one 52mm filter for nikon lens)?

Considering high price of this lens, and also relative simple design - I am wondering how difficult would be in general to make some lens at home (without f stops, just simple wide open lens, without mount, to be used on large format camera or Rollei SL66)? Is there a shop where one can buy lens glass elements with different spherical curves?

thanks,

2. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Edmund Scientifics used to sell acromats, seconds and salvage, of various focal lengths. If you are good at cobbeling things together you could mount something like that up as a soft portrait lens. Sharp in the center, resolution falling off toward the edges. I've used a single element +10 (100mm) close up lens as a soft focus lens. Wide open it was pretty much mush if you know what I mean.

3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    People selling lens cells fairly frequently over on the Large Format forum

4. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also try Surplus Shed.com.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This lens was designed with some uncorrected aberrations still present. The "filter" forces only the circumference of the lens to form the image. In doing so it enhances the aberrations and therefore the softness of the image. I seriously doubt that you can attain the same effect with an ordinary lens. You can try the old trick of putting Vaseline on an skylight filter in various patterns as a substitute. Use a cheap filter as you will never be able to get all of the Vaseline off.

6. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for replays. I have one cheap 52mm filter that I can waste, will give it a try :smile:.

regards,