Leitz V35 enlarger questions

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by mesh, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Just picked up a V35 (that was heading to landfill...) It works, and am currently giving it a clean. I've found a French manual and a few informative sites but I can't see how to remove the lens. I am assuming it's just a simple screw mount, but am reluctant to force anything yet ;-) Can some one please confirm the best way to remove the lens?

Also, I only print B&W but there's a colour head. I am assuming you can still use that for B&W but I just need to find the appropriate amounts to dial in that match equiv multigrade filters?

Thanks very much.

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes it is the standard 39mm screw thread mount so it should come apart easily.

I don't know about any multigrade filters other than those for Ilford and Kentmere (which are the same) but in each box/packet of paper made by them is a leaflet giving these values in table form.

If it has the 40mm enlarging lens check it carefully because these were prone to fungus.

3. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for that - seems very stiff... Sorry for the stupid question but that's just anticlockwise to remove right?

4. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oops - now I seem to have removed the entire lens housing and can't get it back on... ;-) Doh! I don't suppose anyone knows where an English manual might reside? Thanks. I wouldn't normally have 'played around' but the lens certainly seems like it needs a good clean.

5. Steve Ash

Steve Ash Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  6. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an English manual in pdf - PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

7. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks very much Michael - PM sent.

8. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like seeing this! The spirit of APUG is alive and well!

10. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I got it from you!

11. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sent

12. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks very much everyone. Michael: really appreciate the PDF mate. I know a fair bit about this lovely beast now but... I still can't get the lens off and it isn't mentioned in the manual or any of the links. If anyone actually uses a V35 I'd really appreciate a heads-up. Thanks.

13. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Screws off, m39 thread. Nothing out of the ordinary. Not reverse threaded or anything.

14. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks pstake - I just needed a bit more force ;-) Gave it a quick clean and blow. No fungus but a bit of haze so will try and get it cleaned sometime. Thanks everyone.

15. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've just seen this thread,or I would have replied sooner. I have a V35 with 40mm and also found it difficult to remove. It just needs some force whilst holding the lens mount still. The Ilford Multigrade paper includes a data sheet with filter values specifically for the colour head on this enlarger. This is what I use and it seems to work. There was a variable contrast module available, but they don't appear often(without the enlarger!) and when they do, they are expensive. I hope you enjoy using the V35. It is a superb enlarger.