LENS 2013

Discussion in 'Call for Entries' started by Markauf, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Markauf

Markauf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There's absolutely nothing about what kind of images they are looking for, is there a theme? Is it film only? Or digital as well? B&W or color? This just sounds like they want my $40 entrance fee....

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

3. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a wide open call. Looking at what was selected in 2012 might offer some clues but if you don't know anything about the juror's taste you may just be making a $40.00 donation. But so it goes with a lot of these annuals.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, open call is kinda obscure to me, blah, I like entering things... Why can the judges pay to judge?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

5. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't pay entry fees. If you want me to exhibit, you can pay me for for the work I have to do to print and frame an image. That's how the world works: workers get paid for their labor, they do not pay for the opportunity to work to benefit someone else with no benefit to them.

6. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Are there many art galleries that pay you for the privilege of hanging your work?

~Stone

7. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Seems like a good non-profit organization for photographers, may be worth looking into if the fee isn't too steep for you. I imagine the fees go to a good cause. Better than another recent contest where analog was no longer welcome...

"All subject matter and photographic processes are welcome."

There are silver gelatin and tintype images featured as well as digital. They also have some events worth attending.

8. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any legitimate juried competition which doesn't have an entry fee. In addition to an income for the gallery, it pays the prize money, the jurors (if paid), and limits the amount of entries to serious artists. The benefit is being able to add an exhibition to your CV (or, less often some prize money), which is necessary if you ever want to exhibit in the better galleries.
    Be forewarned, though. The entry fee isn't your only non-recouped cost. You'll also have to pay shipping, there and back.

9. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What does CV stand for?

I just wish it were more like an "accepted entrants pay only" thing, so if you didn't make it, it didn't cost you much, and sometimes it's more about what they get, (if they get 5 B&W images of a shadow of a tree, then they only take 1 or its repetitive) than necessarily a comment on your work. So I get the "legit" photographer comment, but some very talented people can't afford to waste $40 entering just one competition. Heck, if you enter just 10 a year like that, it's $400, which is a lot for someone like me, there are some months in the past 3 years where that's what I made in a month.... Granted there were also $3,000 months, but you get the idea.

Anyway, done bitching.

And again CV? And how does that get you into better galleries? Thanks.

~Stone

10. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Would it be easier to swallow if you think about it as a $40 membership fee to a museum you might never visit? I've certainly done that a few times.

I noticed their featured artists have more than 5 images, so they'll probably need more work from you if you win.

CV is abbreviation for curriculum vitae, basically your résumé

11. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Lol, no probably not, I love museums but wouldn't buy a membership ever lol

Good thought though.

Hmm so I've got no résumé then I guess lol all I have are free galleries and coffee shops :/

~Stone

12. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Haaaa, it means you are exclusive

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    +1

~Stone

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Markauf

Markauf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's great to see the interest and conversation here with regard to the LENS 2013 competition. Our shows have drawn entrants from all around the country, and a number of foreign countries. Last year's exhibition showcased the work of over thirty photographers from the US, Canada, and Mexico. This year our juror is Karen Irvine, curator at the Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago. Curators like Karen (and Natasha Egan who curated our first LENS competition two years ago) do not agree to be juror for just any show. Entry fees help pay for the juror, the exhibition, the opening, prize money, advertising, and raise funds to support our non-profit galley and organization. While there are some juried shows out there which are just money grabs, ours is certainly not one of those, and we are becoming a quite prestigious show to be accepted into.
    Please take a look at some of the entries from LENS 2012, www.perspectivegallery.org/lens-2012-selected-images . Hoping to see some of your images for 2013!

16. Markauf

Markauf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Final day to submit images for LENS2013 is Sunday.

17. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been in a couple shows a long time ago, and even made the cut once in at the Colorado State Fair's show (yee-haw!) but I will admit that most of these shows' entrance rules left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand bills need to be paid and fees have been a part of the equation forever but, in this case, $200 is all they can come up with for the winner of this "a quite prestigious show"? One juror? You know how many $40 jpegs a person can bang through in a few days? It's no wonder eyebrows are raised at these things. Don't forget, the gallery will probably want 50% of sales in your exclusive exhibition as well.

This is what art co-ops and internet web galleries are for. Once you have sales/recognition/patrons you can go into negotiations with a gallery with some muscle. Without those you'll do as they say; that's the way it's always been.

This having been said, I do hope they have a good turn-out. Hope they look at the prize structure too. After all, who's doing the creating here?

s-a

18. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Most of these "pay to play" shows rub me the wrong way as well. While $40 is not a ton of money, it seems like more and more galleries are playing to the generally low self esteem of creatives with a business model that is based on the artist paying to have the honor of having his or her work hung on the walls, somewhere, anywhere. Some of these juried shows do come off well, but even high caliber judges are influenced by the local politics of "we can sell more landscapes," or, in the case of "Local Photography Group," one or two from each member entry, so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

In the latter case, which I have witnessed countless times over the last 15 years here in Atlanta, you'll have finely crafted work, expertly framed and presented, hanging alongside drug store color prints tossed into a Wal-Mart frame. It's like a baseball team where everyone gets a trophy. It's condescending, and teaches people that they don't really have to try all that hard to make photographs worthy of display in a "gallery."

So, buyer beware. It's ultimately what you can get out of your investment, although I suspect the viewership of most of these shows is limited by the simple fact of geography.

19. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Notice that in the listing of last year's winners, only one print sold. It's an anodyne collection of academic photography, totally bland, PC, inoffensive and unremarkable.

This year's $200 "featured artist" will need that much money just to cover the shipping. Geez...

20. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    few! after reading these posts I'm glad I said something and I'm glad I'm not the only one who see's it as basically a scam...

21. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The idea that you're going to be "discovered" just because your work is amazing is pure fantasy. If you want to have a chance of getting into the better galleries, and have professional representation (before you're a "name"), you're going to have to have a CV to send with your portfolio. This CV will need a history of exhibitions and/or competitions.Without a history, they won't be interested. The better galleries are looking to have a relationship with the artist. Part of it is seeing a history of commitment to their art- more than a few years. The better galleries will spend a lot of money promoting their artists. If the gallery participates in something like Art Basel Miami, they can spend more than $10,000 exhibiting just a few artists.

Sales may be rare at the show, but it can lead to other sales. I had 2 pieces hanging in a competition far from me. A couple checked out my website, and bought 3 photos, totally different than what was exhibited. I happened to take first place, too, and got a bit of $.

LENS 2013 is legitimate. It's well know among photographers who do enter competitions. Being accepted looks good on a CV, and would open up the Chicago area to those with no exposure there.

At some point you have to have confidence in your work and aspire to more...

22. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I donated my $40 to the gallery LOL. I'm in the local area and have visited the gallery a few times. Nice people and I hope they make enough money to keep going. I'm not trying to sell anything. My photographs have been looked at by enough people that I know I'll never get a one person show at anyplace but perhaps the local library. These pay to play shows give me something to do with the pictures. And I like to support the local art centers that put them on. Plus they are easy enough to enter. A lot of work to try and sell your stuff to a commercial gallery.

23. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think anybody is disagreeing with you on this. It's also defending the status quo, which I think needs to change, and is changing. Gallery "needs" a CV? Fair enough. Let me see a CV of their successes in getting their clients exposure and sales. (Oh, wait, Just who is the client in this exchange? The guy whose photographs are on their walls 24/7? Or the customer who walks in on a lark and gets out his wallet?

This is not that level of a gallery, is it. I'm sure there's some stars out there but they are vastly outnumbered by galleries that know very little about marketing. Galleries who are very hesitant to really push an unknown artist, perhaps not even educated enough about Art's idiot bastard stepchild, Photography. Been in plenty of galleries where some solid photography was hung so as to be almost invisible while prime real estate was given over to repetitive garish acrylics and second-rate brown pottery.

I would suggest it was your website that made the sale, not the gallery. You probably aren't going to get rich via Etsy, but the Internet lets you get to millions of eyeballs. It's been a new world out there for a while. I doubt galleries want you to realize that.

Congratulations. Really.

I'm not suggesting anything else. I'm saying the old ways need to die. If galleries want "relationships" then they need to show the artist a real CV too. AND, they need to alter the fee schedule until such time they can prove to the artist that they can deliver the clients so the work can deliver the sales. If the work sucks they need to say so and turn the artist out, and not make up some excuse to themselves to hang it anyway because the electric bill is coming due.

The gallery mule method is the only way to do this? To gain confidence? To move on? That's ridiculous. Twelve years ago I sold two 16x20s for $130.00 each at a company art show in my employer's lunch room. Those checks gave me more confidence than any gallery up to that time. There's lots of roads twixt here and there.

Regards,

s-a

24. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Legitimate competitions are a great way to get your work seen, and evaluated against others. Of course, there are scams out there, but a little due diligence will tell you which is which. This one is legitimate, and the implication that it's a scam is unfair.

If a gallery is interested, you'll need to do your research. You need to talk to the other artists they represent, and find out how well the gallery is doing for them.

I think you're confusing exhibiting with representation. A competition is not for having the gallery market your work. It's for you to market your work by being seen in a venue you'd have no access to otherwise. A rep/agent markets your work. This is one way to get your work seen by reps.

Without hanging at the gallery, the couple would never have seen my website.

Thank you. Looks good on my CV.

Like I said, you have to research the gallery, too. When the work sucks, they let you know by not taking you on. Legitimate galleries/competitions won't accept crappy work to pay the electric bill. If it doesn't sell, they won't get any money.

There are a number of ways to make a few bucks from your work. Galleries, art festivals, flea markets, lunch rooms, sales to friends.... My point was that, at some point, you'll need to see how your work stacks up against others work. One way to do it is by entering competitions. $40 (or so)in entry fees isn't a lot of money to invest in yourself. If accepted, add the cost of shipping (most likely both ways). Framing costs are negligible. Either the work sells, or you get your framed piece back, and can use it again. One way to keep shipping costs down is by determining the size of your entry by the distance it needs to be shipped. For me, if the competition is far away, I enter smaller pieces. Closer and I enter larger ones.

[/QUOTE]

25. Markauf

Markauf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LENS 2013

February 28th through March 31st
    Join us on Saturday, March 2nd between 5 and 8 PM for the opening of our LENS 2013 International Juried Photography Exhibition! LENS2013 was juried by Karen Irvine, Curator and Manager of Publications of the Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College Chicago. Our gallery is located at 1310 1/2 Chicago Avenue in Evanston, IL.

26. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark, Just curious. Any idea of the digital to darkroom ratio of the accepted prints? Any APUG's get in?