Lens Board for Flash Supermatic Shutter

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Lobalobo, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just purchased on ebay a Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7 lens in Flash Supermatic Shutter. Paid no attention to the lens board or shutter. I plan to put this on a Crown Graphic and thought I'd just buy a lens board for it, but I stupidly did not focus on the fact that lens boards are both camera and shutter specific. Any suggestions (if the board it comes on doesn't fit a Crown Graphic). Lens won't arrive for about a week.

2. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Do you have any capability to drill a hole in aluminum sheet metal? You can buy a blank board on eBay from heavystar and drill a hole to fit the shutter. You can also probably find one already drilled - try a WTB listing in the classified. I have a couple but they're in storage at the moment.

Dan

3. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    you need a Pacemaker Graphic lens board with a 35mm hole.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  4. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    You can also get the lens boards from www.KEH.com

Jon

5. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. I'll look around for a board that fits the shutter. A 35mm hole is suggested, that's Copal #0 right? My concern was that the lens is not in a standard shutter (not Copal, e.g.), but your responses suggest this isn't hopeless. As for drilling, yes I have a drill but not a drill bit that will cut a hole that size.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  6. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The threads on the Supramatic shutter will fit through the hole for the Copal #0. If you use a board with a #0 hole, you will have to mount the retaining ring with the flat side to the board (i.e., with the shoulder away from the board, that is, if you have the original retaining ring).

Just FYI, the Supramatics were designed for a 1.5-inch hole (~38mm) and the shoulder on the retaining ring took up the slack and protected the threads on the shutter. If you have the original retaining ring and wish to mount it this way, it is often not too hard to sand or file a #0 hole just a bit larger till the retaining ring shoulder will fit. That is a better mount IMHO.

I love my Ektar 203 and use it a lot.

Best,

Doremus

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Doremus the Pacemaker boards are easy to file. They are available new from Heavystar on ebay at very reasonable prices.

The 203mm Ektars are nice lenses, in the UK we are lucky as the ones made here (mount 370) are #0 shutter compatible ansd came in Epsilon, Prontor SVS or Compur shutters depending on when they were made.

Ian

8. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Eastman Kodak Lens Guide from 1952 says that the hole in a lens board for the Supermatic shutter in which they mounted the 203mm f7.7 is 1.5 inches, or just over 38mm.

9. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    the one i had was mounted with a flange, guess that's why it fit the 35mm hole.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The UK made version does fit a 35mm hole, we had the benefit of modern shutters, the US had the Supermatic :whistling:
    Not my favorite shutter - I have a couple.

Ian

11. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So it seems that I need a 4x4 lens board with a 1.5 inch opening. Haven't seen one, but I'll keep looking. Thanks.

12. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The crown does not use a 4x4 board. Those were known as Graflex C boards and were used on the Graphic View II and the Anniversary Speed graphics. You need the sheetmetal boards for a pacemaker.

13. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. Not sure why I mentioned 4x4, except from (false) memory; I'm away from my camera for another week and couldn't just look. The trick, in any case, is to find a sheet metal board for a pacemaker that has an opening for the shutter, which I still take it is an unusual size.

16. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Yeah...why is that? Later we got the Graphic branded compur shutters too but mostly we got the supermatic and the wollensak rapax shutters.

17. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must be missing something... what's so wrong with (or antiquated about) supermatic and the wollensak rapax shutters?

18. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apart from a few items (like Graflex cameras) Kodak UK only sold items made in the UK or by their European subsidiaries. Kodak Germany including Nagel were under Kodak UK control.

After WWII Import restrictions into the UK were very severe, you needed a special license to get around them, cameras and other photographic goods were deemed luxuries and close to the top of the restricted items. The 203mm Anastigmat had been made in the UK before the coated Ektar version but had to fit a British shutter as Compurs and Prontors were in very limited production and also restricted imports, so the Ektars were in Epsilon (Ross Ensign) shutters until restrictions were eased and they switched to the Prontor SVS and then late production in the newer last typ of Compur.

Not as reliable as the German shutters, also not a modern standard fit.

I have Supermatic and Rapax shutter and I'd far rather have any aged Copur. I have a few spare shutters all #00, #0 or #1 compatible and it's so easy to swop shutter if needed.

Ian

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, good clarification. I guess I've not had a problem with the size or reliability differences. But I understand that the "fit and finish" of the innards of a Compur are better than that of Supermatic/Rapax/Graphex. Both, however, have always allowed me to get the job done just like my old Ford pick-up gets me where I'm going just as good as my Mercedes does (although the MBZ is a whole lot more comfy). :smile:

20. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Although I appreciate all the information, and with apologies if I've missed it or misunderstood, I'm still not sure where to find the board I need. I see lots of Pacemaker sheet metal boards, but none for the Supermatic shutter. Will buying a sheet metal Pacemaker Board for a Copal 0 shutter and applying a Dremel to sound out 3mm work, or will this likely just ruing the board? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  21. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes just buy a Pacemaker #0 board, a Dremel will work OK but a curved file works just as well and doesn't take long at all to open up 2mm,

Ian

22. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not just flip the retaining ring, center it and mount it in the Copal #0 hole? I've done it that way and it seemed OK. Am I missing some problem here? Maybe a light leak.

23. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That actualy works just fine.

24. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    "Yes just buy a Pacemaker #0 board, a Dremel will work OK but a curved file works just as well and doesn't take long at all to open up 2mm,"

Thanks. And it occurs to me that I can use the board the lens comes on as a guide, clamping it to the Copal #0, and just filing to match.

25. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    nothing at all really. They're just not as nice as the compur shutters....well, that and their screw threads and hole sizes do not follow the same standard as the Copal/Compur/Prontor.

I have several Rapax/Graphex shutters and have had a couple of the flash supermatics...they all seem to get the job done.

26. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You haven't told us what format camera that you have. Pacemakers in 4x5 use one size lens board, Pacemakers in 3 1/4x4 1/4 use another size board, and 2 1/4x 3 1/4 needs a third size lens board. All of these different sizes can come with different size holes, or with no hole at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014