Lens cap for Minolta Spotmeter F

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Diapositivo, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hallo,
    I have a Minolta Spotmeter F which I bought second hand a few years ago, without the lens cap. I would like to buy a lens cap for it. The manual does not mention which diameter should I buy. I have to know as I don't think this stuff is so easy to find in a shop.

Measuring the diameter with a rule I find the outer diameter is probably 39mm (should use a calibre to be sure).

I suppose a generic lens cap with diameter 39mm should go, but I consider that usually lens caps are actually indicated with the thread filter mount diameter, which is on the inner side of the barrel. So a cap which is meant to fit a 49mm lens thread is actually a bit larger than that, as it has to cover also the thickness of the metal.

So the question is:
    would a generic lens cap sold as 39mm diameter work?

something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Objektivdeckel-S..._Camcorder_Objektivdeckel&hash=item35aaf53b8e

although I would go for something cheaper.

Thanks
    Fabrizio

2. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Fabrizio, I checked my meter and the cap is a slip-on cap. Use the outside diameter when getting your cap.

Mike

3. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The internal thread size for the Spotmeter M and F lens barrel is 35.5mm. The O.D. of the barrel is close enough to dead on 39mm according to my vernier calipers.

The e-bay item linked to would be too large to catch the internal threads.

Lee

4. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll look for a 39mm press-on cap then, thanks for your help.

Fabrizio

5. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The threads I think are so it can accept a closeup accessory lens for metering in those ranges. I've got one but never tried it to see if it made a difference.

6. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that accessory is just to allow better, more accurate focus on the metering cell at close distances.

Lee