lens hood recommendations?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bobbysandstrom, Apr 8, 2006.

1. bobbysandstrom

bobbysandstrom Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For my 8x10, can anyone recommend a screw in lens hood for the Fuji 240A and 450c? I use 82mm stepup rings for the filters to cover my butt for the future when I get larger filter size lenses. I want to eliminate the bellows flare that I'm getting with the 450c.

thanks

2. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what kind of camera ? can you rig a compendium ?

3. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. bobbysandstrom

bobbysandstrom Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    df:

it's a tachihara 8x10.

david:

any problems with movements and vignetting?

5. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use one of those Hama 3-position hoods with my Super-8 kit and with zoom lenses for 35mm, and it's great (compact, easy to use, no problem with lenses that have a rotating front ring), but I don't think it comes larger than 77mm. Hoya makes one too, but I think it also only goes to 77mm

There are bellows hoods that screw into the lens. Ambico made one that I have (again maximum size is 77mm), and there are some larger ones from Cokin, Lee, and I think Calumet. Check the Calumet website, and they should all come up.

It might not be too hard to adapt the Sinar or Linhof shade to a wooden camera like the Tachihara. The Linhof compendium takes 4" filters on the rear standard. Sinar has a filter holder that swings away (180-degrees--very handy for using a polarizer).

7. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My only concern would be tht an 82mm stepup ring on a 240A is a huge size change from the lens filter size .... some, probably small, possible weight/instability issues

8. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can find some very large filter holders, matte boxes, or lens hoods by looking at video gear. The prices might be quite a bit higher than what you are use to seeing in still camera gear on some items. Matte boxes are ideal, but normally require a separate mount system, and these can be very expensive. The larger squared off rubber lens hoods for big video cameras can be found to fit 82 mm threading; you could try one of those and cut to fit as needed.

9. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A while back KEH was having a sale on lenshoods. Lindahl. I assume after the sale they just cut the normal price to match the sale price. I got a couple of different ones for not much more then a rubber hood would have cost new. One mounts with set screws. The other with adapters. Odds are they can handle 82mm easily. But I don't remember right now.

You'd need the wideangle one for 240mm I guess and a normal one for the 450. Or look for the one that's two pieces.

10. Jim McD

Jim McD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams used his hat

11. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bobby

you can adapt a hassie compendium to the 240 easily. the old ones are cheap, and good.

A "Lindahl Standard Bell-O-Shade" is a little clunky, but quite servicable.

d

12. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have long used the Hasselblad compendium shade/filter holder for a large format camera sun shade. I also use the Hassey Chimney finder for ground glass viewing and fine focusing. It just seemed like the right thing to do!

Charlie..............................

13. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Chimney finders make great loupes. I've used my Bronica S2a finder the same way. It's got Nikon optics, focuses, and has a square base that gets into the corners.

14. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I've used my hand. I have several photos with unfortunate proof of that. Lens hoods can be improvised out of scrap mat board. An inverted U-shaped cutout on the back of the hood permits the back of the hood to be slipped behind the back of some shutters. A cutout on the bottom provides access to the shutter. Of course the interior should be painted black. With a little ingenuity the design can be modified to be collapsable.

Attached Files:

15. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also sometimes lower my focusing cloth (black side down) over the belows, lens, and all, like a long tunnel. Adjust the position so it forms a "hood" over the whole front end of the camera, and takes care of any light leaks in the bellows to boot. If the fabric is heavy enough, it won't hang down in front. I read about an old-timer doing this, but can't remember who.

16. ron mcelroy

ron mcelroy Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use some black foam code that is taped together to form a 90 degree angle. I hold it over the lens and visually check to make sure the sun isn't falling on the lens. Not as eloquent as a compedium, but works most of the time.

17. John Z.

John Z. Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Perhaps it is too late to consider, but I would recommend stepping up to 77mm filters. There are many good quality collapsible rubber lens shades available on EBAY. One nice advantage of these hoods is that the filter can be screwed on into the front of the hood, if you buy one with a front thread, without having to take the hood on and off.