Lens Plates for Omega D5

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Hiernst, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hiernst

Hiernst Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Heading back into the darkroom and I'm looking to fit out my Omega D5 XL with lenses. I have a 3 lens turret and was going to pick up a few Flat Plates with 39mm Threaded Flanges, figuring that these would work on just about any lens I'd be buying.

I was reviewing a link posted on APUG ---- http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5.htm ---- and was just curious about the site saying I'd need to use an extended plate for a 105mm Rodagon.

I've never worked with extended plates before on the D5, so I wanted to know A) if they're actually necessary? and B) if so, when are they necessary? I just want to make certain I buy the right equipment. (Also, it may be helpful and informative to let you know that for the near future I'll be mainly printing 6x7 and 35mm negs.....eventually getting to 4x5).

Thanks so much!

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A) they are necessary; and B) they are always necessary (to ensure that the shorter lenses focus, and the longer lenses don't bind on the turret or mount).

3. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Matt is right but you can rig some plates with mat spacers, longer screws or imagination to achieve the plate characteristics you need.
    Study the pics on the KBH site to learn the differences.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Matt says, they are necessary . I have a Schneider Componon S 80mm that doesn't "need" an extended plate to focus, but requires one in order for the turret to clear the rear of the lens to rotate. Its always a good idea to check the lens against the chart to ensure it will function properly.

5. Hiernst

Hiernst Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. I've only ever used the single slide-in lens boards, in which I've never needed the extended plates. This makes more sense to me now.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree with all the above. Omega upgraded the 3-lens turret on the D5500 so that M39 lenses can just screw right in and most will have enough room. But on the older D5, that is not the case.