lens question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Nikon Collector, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a series E 50/1.8 that doesnt stay wide open for metering, if I take it off the body I can move the little lever on the back and it works like it should except that if I'm not careful it depresses into the lens body. I think this is what happens on the camera. It's a junk lens, big cleaning mark on front element, that I use as a body cap on bodies that I'm not using at the moment and probably not worth repairing. just wanted to know if there is something that I can do to fix it. I'm mechanicaly inclined but dont have the proper tools or any idea of the inner workings of the lens

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not hard to poke around in. Three crosspoint screws in the mount & you can see the stop down mechanism.
    Your thought about the lever pressing into the lens has a lot of merit. If I recall correctly the lever you're referring to is attached to the inside of the lens mount.
    When reassembling, the stop down lever slips into a notched ring around the diaphragm and that's the only timing or alignment you need to be aware of.

3. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks John, It's a junk lens so I havent lost anything if I screw it up, maybe something has come misaligned?

4. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just gotten old and dirty.

5. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like me!! :smile:

6. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi

you need to know that Nikon built most of its lenses to tolerate a vibration table and the three screws you need to unto were covered in an adhesive and then screwed in

they need a screw driver that is a good fit and the screw heads locally heated (e.g. with a soldering iron) first to soften the glue

good luck

you can get good series E 5cm on the cheaper cams and throw away the cam