Lens question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Nikon Collector, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As some of you know, as the only film photographer in my family and friend circle, I get a lot of "garage" items given to me, some usable, some not. My latest "Saw this and thought of you" gift is a Vivitar wide angle 28/2.5 s/n 22316782, 62mm filter size, in Nikon pre AI mount.
    Anyone familiar with this lens? Is it a keeper or junk? How old is it?

2. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was never impressed with those early Vivitar lenses.

For an estimated value, go to Ebay, Advanced Search, and click on Completed Auctions. There should be a few lenses matching your lens description, with the sold price.

3. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That lens came in two varieties, one with a 62mm filter thread, and one with a 67mm thread. I have the latter in both M42 and Canon FD mount, and I think that it is a fine lens, although prone to flare. This is from a roll that I shot with the Canon yesterday:

[​IMG]
    Canon A1, Kodak BW400CN, Vivitar 28/2.5 by Greyscale3, on Flickr

I believe that your is the newer version. The first two numbers of the serial number (22) show that it was manufactured by Kiron for Vivitar.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_serial_numbers

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  4. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the info, from what I'm reading it was introduced in 1969, the 67mm filter mount was introduced in the 70's with a rubberized grip, most users say it's a descent lens so I'll give it a try, seems to be prone to flair so I guess I'll start looking for a 62mm hood

6. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I first had this lens in High School in Konica mount. After I started collecting I got many more of them. I now have it in mounts for Konica, Minolta, Canon FD, M42, Olympus OM and Nikon AI. It's quite a good lens. All 28mm lenses need to be used with care in flare situations. Vivitar later made a 28/2.5 TX lens (interchangeable mounts). It's a decent lens but not as good as the Fixed Mount 28/2.5.