Lens with scratch, return or not return?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by amsp, Mar 20, 2013.

1. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought a new lens for my rz67 and on close inspection I found what looks like a scratch/scratches in the corner of the front element. The scratches are shaped like lightning (never seen anything like it) and I think they're just in the coating, but I can't be sure. Should I be worried? I got a pretty good price on it, but it was advertized as "superb, close to mint condition", should I return it?

Thanks.

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not likely it will affect the image it will produce. But... you are already indicating you are dissatisfied and that's the general tone of your question.

If this is the case, regardless of it will have any material effects or not, you will see that scratches every time and it will bother you as long as you own that lens. I'm the same way. I'd return it.

3. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds like it could be fungus -

4. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I just looked at some pictures of lens fungus and the pattern does look similar. Sort of like this, but much less severe:

5531552262_cf9c483723_b.jpg

5. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's FUNGUS! Branching lines are a sure sign.

6. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Alright, it's going back to the seller then. Thanks for the help guys.

7. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    amsp, don't even mess with buying used lenses for RZ - when out of Japan and Hong Kong on EBay you can get new, old stock lenses for pennies on the dollar. But be sure to check those too for early fungus.

8. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I bought this on eBay from Tokyo actually. Except for the fungus it was pretty minty. The most annoying part is that I got it for a very good price. *Sigh*

9. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well -- annoying. And it'll bug you, I am sure. But I would be surprised if if affects the images, and as long as you don't store it in the dark, I wouldn't be surprised if the fungus never gets worse.

10. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I keep all of my gear in the dark really, usually in bags. Either way it's just too risky keeping a moldy lens around anyway, and I know it would bug me to no end. As I make my living with this gear in the end I prefer paying more to get a good copy if I have to. Of course that doesn't mean I don't try to find a good deal when I can :wink:

11. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're the least bit mechanically oriented, fungus like you have shown can be cleaned up quickly with a Q-tip and alcohol. If it is on the backside of the front element, a spanner wrench will remove the retaining ring and the front element will fall out. Clean and replace. Only the cost of a spanner is involved. Since the gravity of the problem is less than the one shown in the post I would be reaching for my spanner. I've done several worse than shown and fungus has not returned.

As for buying in HK, if you have ever been there it is one of the most humid places on the earth. I don't doubt NOS lenses from HK have fungus.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  12. fmajor

fmajor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hate finding a "good deal" only to receive something with a deal killing flaw. Then not only am I out the joy of finding a bargain, but then pay return shipping...

13. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Grandad used to say "buy cheap, buy twice". Not saying that you can't get a good bargain, but if you're not happy with something, I'd return it. You never be comfortable with it, and, should you ever want to sell it again, a prospective buyer may well pick on the same issue.

14. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...you could always send the photo and request a refund equivalent to cleaning and it'll save you the shipping costs back that they likely will not refund.

15. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I'm definitely not going to take the lens apart and risk damaging it when I can just return it, I have no experience with lens repair. Also, I've read that there's always a chance the mold will return. As for having it cleaned by a professional, unfortunately I think it would cost more than the lens itself at this point, not to mention the turnaround time might be extensive. Fortunately I bought it from a very reputable seller (I always do), and he's already said he's sorry for the trouble and will refund me. If I'm lucky maybe he can find a replacement lens instead, that would be ideal. It's not like these things are hard to find in Tokyo after all.

16. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately, this is just how it goes buying used. Know what the common flaws are and don't be afraid to return it, it's your only defense. I can't tell you how many defective lenses and cameras I have purchased that were supposedly checked out, don't vacillate for a second about fungus.

17. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I've been very fortunate over the years about used gear, but I'm always careful about what I buy and from whom. I've shipped the lens back to the seller now and he's been very supportive so far. He says he's going to refund my return shipping charges AND he's going to find me a replacement lens and ship it to me within a week. Now this is the way you do business if you ask me. If everything pans out I will have no qualms buying from this seller again, in fact I might even become a regular customer.