Lenses for Nikon FM

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Focus No. 9, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Focus No. 9

Focus No. 9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hello, I'm a bit in the dark. I cannot determine if the Nikon FM was designed to optimally take advantage of the AI lenses. I know the camera can take the non-ai and the ai,,,,but but but ????

2. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AI and AIS lenses works best for FM. NAI lens need stop down metering.

3. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. Focus No. 9

Focus No. 9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everybody.

5. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You really don't want Non-AI lenses for the FM2. The camera was designed to work with AI and AIS lenses. I don't know where the idea that early non-AI lenses are selling for very little money got started either. Sure you can find them, but good examples fetch pretty good prices on par with their AI, and far more convenient to use, counterparts. To use the older, pre-AI lenses, you need to flip the metering tab on the body out of the way and use stop down metering. If you forget to flip the tab out of the way, and you try to force a non-AI lens onto the body, chances are good that you'll break something. Human nature being what it is, this will happen and any money you might have saved by going for the least expensive solution will evaporate into a repair bill. Add to that the fact that stop down metering, while not hard to do, is a pain in the ass, and you've got some really compelling reasons to NOT use pre-AI lenses on the camera.

7. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The OP posted FM not FM2. As indicated in the provided link, the FM can use Non AI lenses while the FM2 cannot.

As for prices of Nikon lenses, one such source is http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35mm/system-Nikon-Manual-Focus/category-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses?s=1&bcode=NK&ccode=6&cc=55957&r=WG&f. Search for "non AI" and you can see that they are cheaper then their AI counterpart - given the same condition.

If human nature is so low, you can buy all non AI lenses and leave the meter tab flipped up with the FM - the FM2 does not have this option.

8. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever. Point is that non AI lenses are a pain in the butt to use with that camera and that you can't deny. So excuse me for writing FM2 instead of just plain old FM. And yes, human nature is that fallible. Sooner or later we all make mistakes. Trying to crank on the lens without flipping the tab up out of the way will happen and when it does, something will break. For a few extra dollars, you can avoid the problem altogether and have a more convenient package (and very likely better performing lenses) to boot.

9. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can as I have both. Of course that doesn't matter as it will be the OP that will or won't have to deal with it as the OP chooses. We're just providing opinions and options.

10. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can find great Non AI glass. I; for one have great non Ai glass that I use routinely with my FE and F4

11. aroth87

aroth87 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having to stop down to meter with non-Ai glass isn't too much on an inconvenience. I can easily push the DOF preview button with my middle finger on my FE. Just like anything, after enough practice it becomes natural. But if the OP isn't interested in stop-down metering, Ai and Ais lenses will meter without any extra input on the operators part. One less person to compete with for Non-Ai deals too...

Adam

12. macrorie

macrorie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It can be cost-effective to buy the better models of non-AI lenses and have John White AI-them. I use lenses that he converted on both film and digital Nikons and they work flawlessly.

13. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As we are on apug and compatibility with d-word technology is not neccessarily needed, may I suggest that another nice and easy way to use pre-AI lenses is a pre-AI camera?

I really liked my Nikkormat FT-2 before an accident transformed it into a piece of junk.

14. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like my Nikkormats too. I have 5 or 6. I had them rewired to use SR44.