Les says I need a 'real' tripod :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by BWGirl, Apr 6, 2006.

1. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All!
    When I went to the Texas workshop last month, I pulled my tripod out of the back of the car. Les took one look at it and said "I thought you said you had a tripod." Hm.... He said it was too flimsy, and lo & behold... there were a few times when I set up the darn thing that it acted flimsy! :surprised: I'm not sure if it is really flimsy, or if Les like hexed the thing, but I'm looking for a new tripod. :wink:

I have my 35mm Canon and My Hassy. I have a 250 lens for the Hassy and that is about the heaviest kit combo I have. I do traipse around a bit since I like shooting waterfalls and other "inconveniently located" things, and of course, a tripod is essential. I like the tripod head I have (a Bogen-Manfrotto 3030) and would like to use that on the new tripod. My current tripod is a Manfrotto 3205LC...the poor thing. :sad:

So... what are my options?

2. Mark H

Mark H Member

Bogen 3021 with 3047 head. I've used it for years taking pictures in rocky, watery locations with both 35mm and MF. It's sturdy; each leg is individually adjustable. I think it would qualify as a "real" tripod.

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a 3221W with the 3047 head; it works fine with either my 35mm or my 4x5. I am going to replace it with a Carbon One this summer - the tripod is just too heavy to carry in my luggage when I travel.

4. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know the US Bogen codes for Manfrotto tripods but I use a 055PRO and a 190MF3, the latter a carbon tripod that can carry up to 4Kg. I also use a three way head and a ball head. A 250 lens (not the Sa, right?) is about 1165g according to the V catalog, a 501CM weights 590g and a A12 back is about 450g. In all you should be looking at a tripod and head combo that supports atleast two and half to three kilos. Many good tripods have a hook to attach a bag in the center to give them more weight.

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have a long lens on the Canon I bet that's more of an issue then the heavier MF camera. That long lens hanging off the front wanting to pull down. It's not the weight it's the place the weight is. If all the weight is over the head then it's easier on the tripod then if it's hanging out there in space leveraging itself.

6. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You might want to check out a wooden Berlebach Tripod http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/berlebach.html The 2042 model with a Bogen
    3047 head would be a good choice and work well with both the Canon and the Hassy. They're very well made in Germany out of Ashwood. A wooden tripod performs well in frigid weather and has a dampening effect on vibrations- for a sharper negative.
    Also, a wooden tripod SCREAMS "analog photography" so you will be easy to spot amongst the posers and pixelheads :smile:

7. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jeanette
    I use a Gitzo, well, I have a Gitzo and every year manage to use it a couple of times. :smile: Great tripod. Worth a look.

8. mark

mark Member

I have the same combination as Mark H and it is perfect. You should take his advice as his initials are the same as mine.

9. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Benbo MK2 - it's huge and bulky but built like a tank and my secondhand mint condition one was dirt cheap!

Lachlan

10. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Bogen 3021 with a large ballhead. This has not beeb a satisfacory tripod. I have a Majestic 2051 with Bogen 3047 and it is a very good tripod. If you wish to try it out Jeanette just leave me know.

11. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the same combination (3021 & 3047) as Mark H and Mark, and I am satisfied with it so far. It holds my F3 with the MD-4, my SQ-A as well as the 4x5. The center column is reversible and can also be attached horizontally. The legs can be spread all the way out to give you very low-level positions to shoot macro, if you need it.

12. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ditto - 3021 with 3047 head...great combo.

13. ggriffi

ggriffi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Jeannette,

I agree with Robert. I have the same setup and it works well either with my 35mm or 4x5.

g

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A 3021 with the 3030 head you already have is a great combination. It's what I use for 35mm, medium format, and 4x5. Now I've got a honking 3050 w/ 3047 head for the heavier 8x10 camera.

16. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Bogen 3021 (aka Manfrotto 055) is a fine tripod. If you like the head you have now, get a set of the 3021 legs and use your 3030.

I now use a Gitzo 1340 as my main tripod but I keep my old 3021 in the tool box of my truck. It's been bouncing around in there for years and it's still solid every time I use it.

17. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmm... Not sure about the numbering, but that looks like the same unit as my Manfrotto 055 ProB (top tip - if you're after brownie points with the Geordie one, don't get a chrome 'pod! :smile: ). It's a big, clunky item, but solid and very stable. Not a huge amount of fun to lug around, but do-able if you can work out a carrying solution. It'll reach to eye level (I'm 6 foot tall) without using the centre column, or drop flat to the floor. The column can also be mounted horizontally.

If you want more versatility then look at the Gitzo Explorer range - superb kit! They can do you a carbon unit too (nicer than the Manfrotto carbons)... if you sell a kidney to pay for it! :smile:

I also use a Manfrotto 460 Magnesium head which is cheap, light and very versatile - Highly recommended and a joy to use. To carry the rig I have an Op-Tech tripod strap which is okay once you get used to it.

All the best with whatever you choose.

Frank

18. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I used to have a 3221 / 3047 until me and it and the Deardorff went ass over tincup down a cliff. The 'dorff and I survived.

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank god the deardorff was okay! :D

just kidding, Jim

20. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This may have been what Les had in mind:

[​IMG]

Actually, I also use the 3221/3047 combo in the field with 35mm, Hassy, 4x5, and even my 8x10 Tachi on occasion. With the heavier cameras, I'll kick out one leg to the wider stance - particularly with the Tachi. But, I watch the wind like a hawk. If it's windy at all, I drag out the 3236 for the 8x10.

21. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the 3221 with the foam on the legs and it is fine with the Hassy and a 250mm, but it is not heavy enough for my Sinar F. It isn't to heavy to throw over the shoulder with the Hassy and hike some distance.

If I lived in an an area there was little wind, it "might" be OK for the Sinar.

I'm still looking for a suitable 4x5 tripod.

Mike

22. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, for hiking I think it's important to get a lightweight tripod. I carry a 5-6 pound tripod and it is too heavy. I plan on switching to the carbon Gitzo g1228, but am a little leery of the twist lock legs.

Jon

23. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I use a bogen 3001 with a 3047 head for everything from 35 mm up to 4x5 (Toyo 45AII which weighs 6 lbs body only). The 8x10 goes on the Manfrotto 475 with a 3047 head plus a long lens support.

24. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Boy, I'm the only person using a Ries? That's been my tripod since 1985 after my Bogan gave up my Wisner over a Northern Calif coast Cliff. The Ries is alot of wood but it strong. I use it for my Medium, 4x5 and 8x10.

25. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've been using a Manfrotto/Bogan for years but I've had enough of it. I've ordered a new Berlebach wood. I'm not sure if it's the answer for you but it is worth looking into.
    Rob Skeoch
    BigCameraWorkshops.com

26. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use Manfrotto, a 055 CLB tripod and a 229 head!

Cheers

André