Lesser known great finds

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Alden, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Alden

Alden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd like to hear about some new photographers books that I might be missing, contemporary preferably, but no sense holding to that.

Some of mine are:

Dave Anderson's "Rough Beauty" excellent portraits and documentary of the poor of Vidor, Texas taken by a Keith Carter influenced genius.

Susan Lipper's "Trip" disarmingly simple but powerful stills from a road trip into the American scene of motels and such. Not for the classic minded.

William Wylie's "Riverwalk" Robert Adams influenced, but definitly his own survey of a Colorado river area done in the most beautiful long tonalities imaginable. Also very intelligent combination of the so called banal and the classic beautiful landscape.

Kevin Bubriski's "Portrait of Nepal" Extremely beautiful and unmatched portraits and print quality of people in remote areas of Nepal. This has got to be the gold standard of this genre.

Got any others I should check into? I'm not too informed, having just discovered Abelard Morell. So all suggestions are encouraged. Thanks.

2. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    other photogs

if you have never seen any of Charlie Pratt's work then you are certainly missing out...his main book was something and the wilderrness...I have to look at the actual title at home and report back
    Best, Peter

3. Davesw

Davesw Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. Alden

Alden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember having a book by a Charles Pratt many years ago. There was a shot of a cow lying down in the grass. Smooth long sweeping back. That the same guy?

The tintype guy was in National Geographic Dec. 2007

5. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I have the Charles Pratt book too and I'd agree with Peter. It was published in 1982 and for those interested the title is "Charles Pratt Photographs" ISBN 0-89381-111-4

6. Louis Nargi

Louis Nargi Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This book I thought was interesting by George Forss. New York/New York masterworks of a street peddler. ISBN 0-07-018208-6 He is a street peddler that sells his prints of NY on the sidewalks for 6.00, 7.00 dollars, two for 10.00. Really enjoyed the book.

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just shows you that marketing is everything doesn't it?

8. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Charles Pratt "The Garden and the Wilderness" Horizon Press 1980. I also have a copy of the 1982 book Les mentioned. I see from the book that he died in 1976. And yes he did the cow picture. The older I get the more I like his take on the landscape.

9. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ray McSavaney, "Explorations". The year of its publication it was voted the most beautiful photography book of the year.The images evoke the quiet manner which all who know him associate with Ray.

10. Alden

Alden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks fellows. More please....

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    he isn't lesser known or contemporary, but Gaspard-Félix Tournachon's complete works are
    available in hardcover. the book just called NADAR is probably one of the most amazing
    collections of portraits and other things. very old, but very new at the same time.
    i have to warn you though, there are portraits of Pierrot in it, and he is a
    clown :wink:

john

12. Alden

Alden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, you are !! ( valley girl inflection smiley )

13. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  14. kombizz

kombizz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    interesting to read and share

15. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  16. Alden

Alden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's a few more to keep this thing going. I expected an avalance of books, but, oh well.

Jack Spencer's "Native Soil" , very innovative portraits of the American South sunk into deep sepia's .

Ken Light's "Delta Time" another fantastic documentary of the American South. Traditional, but riveting.

Enzo Sellerio's " A Photographer in Sicily" 50's 60's 35mm documentary that will make you wonder why he's not spoken of in the same sentence with Bresson.

Charles Jones's "The Plant Kingdoms of Charles Jones" literally discovered at an English antique store in a trunk. Master Gardener Charles Jones did to glass plates what Edward Weston did to film, in the plant world. The plates were later cleaned off and used as sheilds to young seedlings, by Charles himself. Only the prints survived.

Robert Dawson and Stephen Johnson's " The Great Central Valley" documentary of California's central valley. Highly varied and a plethora
    of images pepper this survey of the agricultural region of California. Excellent historical writing to boot, by Gerald Haslam.

17. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ruven Afanador - Torero and Sombra. I just did a quick peek on Amazon looking for it to make sure the title is right, and it looks like I'm sitting on a goldmine - the current cheapest available copy of Torero is $835.

18. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Edward Burtinsky - Manufactured Lanscapes

He is getting a lot of play recently, with the Globe and Mail, one of Canada's national newspapers using a lot of his images as a background to a review of what the Athabaska Oil Sands developments are doing to the otherwise relatively un-developed lands where they are sprouting up.