Let me see if I got this right; Pinhole photography first try.

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by jonpaul, Aug 9, 2010.

1. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just ordered a holga 120WPC that has a f/135 hole (should have it by Friday); if I use Ilford HP5 plus (400) film and set my lightmeter to read the film iso at 100 and use a exposure reading for f64, I should get my exposure right; correct??

2. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Close enough for Holga (and most other work). That's about 2.15 stops difference.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Close enough, but don't forget the reciprocity failure with long exposure times!

Attached Files:

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's an earlier post with reciprocity corrected times that include HP5+. The chart is based on data from Howard Bond's extensive testing in an article in Phototechniques magazine, 2003. Metered times are in seconds, adjusted times are in mm:ss format. Data went to 240 seconds. Adjustment from metered times longer than that are extrapolated from the data.

http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13810&d=1238435346

Lee

5. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    jonpaul

Let us know which one worked better for you!

6. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the info; I'll let you all know how it works out. Again, thanks. - -Jonpaul

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apparently Acros 100 doesn't present the same problems with reciprocity failure and since you're in AZ you should be able to use the slower film with no problem.

8. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If he's using HP5+ at ISO 400 in daylight at f:135, he's going to get exposure times between about 1/10 sec and 1.5 seconds, so his main problem won't be reciprocity, or trying to shorten exposure times. It could be finding a good way to accurately time exposures that short.

Lee

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  9. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Holga 120WPC pinhole camera results: Before going out I was careful to load Ilford HP5+ and used gaffers tape along the back cover seams and frame counter window to keep light leakage at a minimum, and used a Minolta IVF incident light meter to take readings. I took six 6x12 exposures: #1-set meter at iso 100 @ f64 meter, indicated 1-second, shot @ 1-second. #2-meter set as before indicated 1-second, shot @ 1.3 second (adjusting for reciprocity using table provided by Ralph Lambrecht). #3-set meter at iso 400 @ f22 and used Pinhole Designer software table, indicated 20th second, shot at 4-seconds. #4,5,6,-set meter iso to 100 using f64, indicated 1.5-seconds, shot at 2-seconds. Timing of the exposures was done in the primitive one-one-thousand manner. I processed the film using Ilford Ilfotec DDX developer 1+4 dilution at 68F for 9-minutes. All the exposures were usable, but,the best exposure was #2, using the reciprocity table. Thanks Ralph Lambrecht.

10. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad to hear that it worked for you. Many thanks for the feedback!

11. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here is the photo from this experiment. I developed the film in Ilfotec DDX for 9-minutes at 68F and scanned it into Lightroom 2.6, and gave it a tweak. - -Jonpaul[​IMG]

12. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only see a little question mark but no picture?

13. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great, over on f295 there is instructions on how to mod the Holga to get rid of the vignetting. Ill see if I can find it.

15. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's a damn nice picture. Don't get rid of the vignetting! That's the whole point of Holga!

16. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a very pleasing image irrespective of vignetting. Individual taste I suppose will dictate whether you remove it or leave it: my taste is leave it. :smile:

You probably couldn't get a more atmospheric and "big sky" place to unleash a camera — any camera — than your location in the desert of Arizona. Most of us down here, Dowunder, would kill to photograph those places, among others, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite (and do it darned well better than Uncle Adams!!), Slot and Antelope Canyons... would be criss-crossing the USof A very frequently!!

18. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    SMBooth, thanks for the reply. I would be interested in the vignetting link, although, I think I'll leave this photo as shot.

19. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    vdonovan, I glad you like the photo. I'll be leaving the vinetting as is. - - Jonpaul

20. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Poisson Du Jour, Thanks, I'm glad you like the image of Superstition Mountain. It's located about 15-miles from my house and has an elevation of about 5200'; I hiked to the top one winter, the last two-thirds of the hike is more of a climb, hand-over-hand in some places. I've also hiked the Grand Canyon and Yosemite and been to Monument Valley; all wonderful places. If you get a chance to visit, come in November, our best month when the temps. are pleasant. And if you do visit, drop me an e-mail and I try and steer you in the right direction. - - Jonpaul

21. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Link on removing vignetting. http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/forum/Blah.pl?m-1249248671/
    Don't get me wrong i like natural vignetting its the mechanical vignetting from the actual camera frame I'm not a fan of.
    Shane

22. jonpaul

jonpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm