Lethal?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Stephen Frizza, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm curious, after so many years of working with a wide range of raw photographic chemicals which readily obtainable common photographic chemical if ingested would prove to be most lethal?

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    short or long term?

Consider a book I think that is called 'Overexposure'. I have a copy somehwere on my photo reference bookshelf at home.
    The author's name does not spring to mind at present. She wrote it in mid 70's when a lot more wet chemistry careers were in the workforce.

Most of the toner metal salts are pretty nasty to the body over time.

Raw selenium can do you in in just about no time.

Soduim and Potassuim Hydroxides are no peach either.

I would consider looking at other entry routes other than just ingested, but LD50 oral is the number you are talking about in your post.

I print off the simplified MSDS page for each raw chem I buy and put them in a prominently labelled binder I have poited out to my wife so she knows about it.
    The entries are filed alphabettically by the name I put on the storage bottle.

Oxford Physical Chemistry has a great simpliifed msds data base availabe for free, that is the basis for most of my MSDS pages. I want to know about the short form risks, not the 10 pages to say how to label it in 50kg drums for fire fighting purposes.

3. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you planning on tasting some or do you want to poison someone?

4. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends on minimum lethal dosages. Straight ingestion, it doesn't take much Pyrogallol. Catechol, strong acids and bases, Selenium, PPD. Of course there are others less readily available, and things can have long term effects in lower doses, particularly with repeated exposure over time. Not only that but direct ingestion is not the only risk. Inhalation of vapours and dust during mixing of dry chemicals. And some compounds (like Pyro for example) are absorbed through the skin.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those photograhic chemicals are nothing compare to the drugs I use during the 60's and the 70's :laugh:

Jeff

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although no longer commonly available or widely used in photo processing, I'd rank cyanide and uranium at the top, with mercury following close behind. After those, anything that's a strong acid or strong base (blixes for color processes are pretty nasty).

7. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dichromates aren't much fun either, a couple grams is all it takes to kill... and the solution looks just like tasty orange kool-aid.

8. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Funny thing about Sodium Hydroxide is that it can be neutralized into something much less nasty with another nasty chemical, Hydrochloric Acid. We did this as an experiment in High School chemistry.

NaOH + HCl -> NaCl + H2O.

This is far less nasty unless you live in California, where H2O was nearly banned because one of it's more ominous sounding names is "Dihydrogen monoxide."

9. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I saw a youtube video of the Weston Brothers being interviewd, their fingers were black from putting in chemicals.
    They were waving them around almost as a badge of honour, which for the time would be cool, but after years of working in trays I now wear glove and my hands are getting better.

There was a time about 12 years ago that I was getting rashes on my hands which I attribute to working dev, stop, fix hypo clear without gloves.

10. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It's interesting that the US generation who won WWII were exposed to all the materials we are now afraid of and only about half the newest generation make it through high school.

11. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amidol is what did that with Westons. It stains everything.

12. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    One city in conservative Orange County almost fell for that hoax, but that was about it. A 14 year-old kid did gather petitions for his science project that asked for a ban on Dihydrogen monoxide...his project was titled "How Gullible are People", or something like that.

Potassium ferricyanide is not very toxic, despite the cyanide, as the cyanide is tied up pretty tight to the iron. But still toxic. And one does not want to mix it with a very strong acid (working strength stop bath is not a very strong acid) as cyanide gas can be generated.

Rashes on the hands would probably be caused by an allergic reaction to metol in the developers.

13. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    And of course those WWII vets never suffered from PTSD either.

(satire alert)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mercuric chloride is far nastier than the uranium nitrate typically used for toning/intensification.

16. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can remember the 70's then you were just not having enough fun. :wink:

17. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The book "Overexposure" is not very reliable as it is full of distortions, bad data and sensationalism. It completely ignores the dictum that it is the dose not the poison that is important. For example, it states that phosphoric acid is poisonous. In actuality phosphoric acid is a common acidulate in the food industry. According to the authors of Overexposure my next sip of Coca Cola will be my last! I would certainly discourage anyone from buying this book. MSDS's are readily available on the web and are more accurate.

If one is limited to commonly used photographic chemicals then my candidate would be pyrogallol. The LDlo (lowest lethal dose) is 26 mg per kilogram of body weight. Of course things are a bit more complicated as one must also consider chronic exposure to poisonous chemicals. Then there are mutagens and carcinogens which can have nasty effects at very small doses.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  18. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I started darkroom my senior year in high school. Used my hands for tongs in the Dektol. I had a constant rash until I graduated and we went on vacation for a few weeks (no darkroom) and my rash cleared up.

19. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All very true - but then again, McDonalds is far more likely to have lethal effect long-term than most photo chemistry exposure. I think most photographers have far more respect for the chemicals they use and handle than the average person has for the food they eat.

20. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bleaches in color processes are, contrary to what FlyingCamera wrote, not overly acidic and harmful with the sole exception of the (now more or less defunct) Ilfochrome process. Bleaches for C41, RA4 and E6 all operate between pH 4 and 7, and BLIXes between 6 and 7.

21. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did not mean that they are overly acidic. They are caustic to some degree, the worst of course being as you mentioned the Ilfochrome blix. But you still don't want to breathe their fumes or get them in your eyes.

22. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of the mixed photographic solutions are not very dangerous, and neither are most of the unmixed packaged developers and fixers. That doesn't mean you wouldn't get sick from them, but they are not lethal acute poisons. Most manufacturers do an excellent job of telling you about any hazards on the label (at least in the US). The most hazardous are probably the toners, some of which are acutely poisonous. That does not apply to the raw components you might use to mix up your own solutions, however. Here the chemicals are much more concentrated and can be more toxic. Also, the bottles of raw chemicals are not usually marked to indicate poisons. Hydroxides have already been mentioned as nasty. Add glacial acetic acid to that. Developing agents like pyro and PPD are quite toxic and can be absorbed through the skin. Sodium sulfide (the toning agent, not sulfite) is quite toxic. There are a number of other things that show up in an experimenter's darkroom that should not be ingested, but these are the most common.

23. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They have to be able to etch Silver but that's about it. Their fumes are likely much more harmless than those from most developers, and likewise I would expect most developers to be much worse to your eyes, too. To my best knowledge, Ferric EDTA is used orally to treat insufficient Iron intake.

24. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    AgNo3 is lethal if ingested.

25. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    They didn't because they weren't pansies.

26. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    OK, who here won't die???