Lets Celebrate a New Product Announcement! Two new Rollei films announced

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by hoffy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With all the doom and gloom out there, its good to see announcements of two new films (well, rehashed, but its better then discontinued!)

The new films are called RPX100 and RPX400. From what I have read, they are based on the AGFA APX films and they should be available in 135-36 in November and 120 in December. It also appears that these dates are for European release.

A mighty Two thumbs up!

2. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Yay! :D

Let's hope this film makes it over to Japan

3. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I confirm, you are perfectly right. First samples are to be released to us so soon.

More information later :wink:

4. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this from the same people who brought back the Agfa MCC paper as Adox? If so, I'm very interested. The Adox paper is excellent quality.

6. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No.

These products are made in Europe and supervised by the Rollei-Maco company in Hamburg-Stapelfeld, Germany.

Typical on the front page, RPX 100 data sheet, is the Croatian lady, retro (around 1920-30).

7. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hope they reach the U.S. too. I liked the AGFA APX films.

8. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RobertV,

To confirm, these films bare no relation to the forthcoming ADOX PAN 100 and 400 films? - Are the Rollei films on a polyester base?

Tom

9. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    oh my goodness! This is very exciting :smile:

APX film used to be my absolute favorite black and white stock in 120 and I've mourned the loss of it for a very long time. If the price is decent it will take away a lot of the sting from loosing Neopan 400 in 120 sizes which is what I switched to after APX went away.

I guess this may end up as one of those cases where life brings you full circle.

I hope it becomes available at Freestyle.

11. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    German introduction (up from today) price RPX 100/400 Twin (2 ) package 135-36 Eur. 3,57 incl.19% VAT.

That's up to Rollei-Maco and Freestyle.

12. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert,

I'm still confused. The Adox Pan professional films to be introduced soon are supposed to be based on the Agfa APX technology. What relation do these 'RPX' films have to the APX technology?

Tom

13. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Panchromatic (380-660nm) , also on Acetate base.
    Which does not mean that Rollei-Maco claim that they (let) made a copy of the former APX films.

Concerning the German intro price (valid for one week) I can only estimate they made and packed a lot of this RPX film.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    As you wrote in photo.net it is not at all a horse from an Agfa stable:

"The emulsion and product is the end-result of a cooperation between Ilford/Harman, Efke and the Rollei-Maco company"

Source: Robert Vonk , Nov 08, 2010; 10:10 a.m.

So, it is either a british emulsion plus croatian packaging or vice versa. Right?

I think that is good news - Harman and Efke are serious suppliers, and if someone manages to offer Ilford/Kentmere or Efke emulsions combined with packaging services in different sizes and for such an attractive price then it is a good thing.

16. Film-Niko

Film-Niko Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree.
    It looks like it are Kentmere 100 and Kentmere 400 Emulsions with Maco packing.

The development times are almost identical to the Kentmeres (and much closer as Foma 100 / 400 or other alternatives are).
    Now we have Kentmere films as 120 as well.
    And the prices are extremely low.

And Adox has announced the new Pan 400 for the beginning of next year, if I remember right.
    And the new reflecta scanner.

All good news, indeed.

17. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks great, at least film is not going to die anytime soon.

Jeff

18. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was never a fan of AGFA film, but I am happy for those that were and now have a replacement. New film is always good news.

19. rhmimac

rhmimac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't find the RPX100 and 400 films on the Maco website.

Where can it be ordered online?

rhmimac

20. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the heads up Hoffy!
    APX was my favourite B&W film and I was devastated when they pulled the pin on Agfa. Luckily I was able to grab a load of 35mm in bulk rolls, but alas, no 120.

Looking forward to being able to get my hands on some 120 soon - let me know when it is available in AU and I'll get a friend to pick some up for me. :smile:

22. moki

moki Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just got my first samples of both RPX100 and RPX400 (10 each) and will test them the next few weeks with Rodinal and Caffenol-C-M as developers.
    I really hope, they're a replacement for APX... otherwise, I have to buy as much of the old APX as I can get and get a new freezer :wink:

The 120 will be available in late december if everything goes as planned.

23. seafoto

seafoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Let's stick to the doom and gloom, I've just tried Four Rollei Retro 400, developed in Rollei RHS, precise timing and temperature and drew out four almost clear strips, Then processed an Ilford Delta 100 in the RHS and all came out good. Two of the Rollei films using a different camera, still almost clear, very faint image. So, went back to my favorite film Ilford HP5, still in RHS developer, and all good negatives.Could be me!! As my previous communication says, I'm returning to my darkroom, but have processed many films before, never almost clear negs.
    I have one more Rollei film to go, not sure what else to try, during the last film I increased the time by two minutes but no real improvement.
    I do accept that this is part of the fun of this hobby, all digital are perfect but thats why I'm back in the darkroom.
    Any information on this film would be very wellcome or I may have to pull out "The Beginners Guide to Photography"

24. canuk

canuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You've got to calibrate your films....I've found recommended development times to be way off what I determine to be correct following controlled testing using a densitometer. If you believe published times you will, in some cases, experience the results which you apparently have.

25. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Never had to calibrate tri-x and I can get 2 or 3 rolls of that for what I would get for one roll of Rollei film. Nah.

26. moki

moki Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Rollei Retros are basically relabeled APX and they use the same developement.
    The RPXs seem to need a slightly longer time, but I haven't tested enough to give exact numbers. They're not bad films, but nothing special either. I found the 100 (developed 13min in R09 1+40) to have really nice tones, mediocre grain and pretty low sharpness. The 400 is similar, but does hardly reach 400 ASA while having a little more contrast.
    The RPX 100 was really nice in Caffenol-C-M, though... Rodinal/R09 is probably not the best choice for these two.