Let's get dangerous....

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by McFortner, May 8, 2009.

1. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I now have in my sweaty little hands a used copy of The Darkroom Cookbook 2nd Edition. Now I'll be able to tinker with developers (when I have the money) for my film! I haven't read much yet, but I now know it's OK to mix developers together for different effects.

[thunder="ominous"] Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-hah! [/thunder]

Michael

p.s.: I'm ready for my medications, Nurse Ratchet. :D

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Let me offer a word of advice: advice I certainly would not have taken at one time. Read the book through thoroughly from cover to cover before you begin playing Dr. Jekyll in the darkroom.

3. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awww, that takes all the fun out of it! :wink:

For real, I was planning on doing that. I don't just want to buy chemicals without any idea of what I'm doing first. Good way to waste money and get yourself hurt that way.

Michael

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want to live dangerously play with developers that haven't made the DCB 2nd or 3rd Editions :D

Ian

5. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is Caffenol in the 3rd edition? I know it's not in the second. And I know for a fact my version isn't in it! :surprised: :rolleyes:

Now I just need to get out and shoot off a roll to develop. I just don't have the energy most days with my Idiopathic Hypersomnia to even get out of the house for long. I spend way too much time sleeping it seems and they have no idea why....

Michael

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    not sure if it made any of the editions ---
    but it is fun to make+use :smile:

7. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think Caffenol is in the 3rd. While I have enjoyed TDC, I've found some recipes don't work well; the divided devs. It's felt that today's thin emulsions don't soak up enough a the "A" bath to be effective. If you'd like to use these devs, do test rolls before committng something important.

8. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What if you increased the developer concentration in the "A" solution of a divided developer. Wouldn't that compensate for the thin emulsion?

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For maximum development amusement I recommend tray developing with wd2d+; the negs literally glow when you transfer them into the stop bath.

10. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. At least it should. There was a fellow APUGer who increased the metol in the 'A' bath of a divided dev and then I tried it and it did work. What this gentleman's name was or how much metol he added to what dev now escapes me. Perhaps if I take a look around this Black Hole of a house, I'll find a note I scribble somewhere...

However, you can waste a lot of film, chems and times trying to find out exactly how much metol to add. D2D is a good one, tho'.

11. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Caffenol is not in the third edition, but there are enough recipes online that you can try. Being more alchemy than chemistry, I don't think it's the kind of formula Steve et al are trying to present. I did borrow a page from the Cookbook (page 74, to be precise... now why did I remember that? :smile: ) and added a 10% Bromide solution to my Caffenol paper recipe. This is in an attempt to coax a little more contrast out of the higher tones of my Caffenol prints. Because coffee-based developers are somewhat less scientific in their formulation, it is difficult to quantify the effects of such tweaking, but I do think my prints have taken a considerable step forward since I started printing with this process. (Toning with Selenium doesn't hurt either... if you like yummy-looking chocolate prints... :D )

Cheers,