Let's talk tripods... or more specifically legs...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by BimmerJake, Oct 7, 2009.

1. BimmerJake

BimmerJake Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    is there a significant stability difference between a multi element leg like bogen's 3246 vs. a single tubular type?

thanks

2. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I personally find the leg struts helpful, but I use heavier cameras in rougher terrain much of the time. There is a trade off in easy of use/speed/weight, but for me the struts are worth it. It's a very personal choice...

- Randy

3. BimmerJake

BimmerJake Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    well, i'm on the verge of purchasing either a c220 or a rb67. so for now i would need medium weight support, but in the future i might go to 4x5 (although there are no immediate plans i can see it happening at some point). i'd rather get something now that wouldn't need to be replaced later. also, i mostly shoot in nature where then ground is uneven etc. so my thought is that the strut type might work better, even though it's not quite as portable.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not a fan of strut type tripods. Bogen has(had?) the 3021 which was a nice compromise in size & weight.
    sturdy enough for 4X5 & light enough not to be left in the car.
    Gitzo too has a whole wad of leg sets to consider, the Studex series especially.

5. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Manfrotto 055 CLB has done the job so far, not a light tripod to carry around IMHO, but gives me stability, that's the important thing I think.:wink:

My setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS- I don't use the center column

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
  6. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    When I asked the pro who sold me my RZ67 about enlargers, he said many who move to MF eventually go to 4x5. I bought one that would print 35mm-4x5. The arguments about tripods are endless. Do searches here and the LF Forum. I was very happy with a three section Gitzo under both MF and 4x5 (Linhof TK45), using a 1570 magnesium head.

As I have gone to larger formats, gotten older and used a baby jogger to carry all, I have seen the advantages of big Ries two part legs. The 7x17 or the 8x10 ride mounted on the tripod with the spikes through the footboard. The set up camera stays in place even when the earth moves.

The jogger gives me a two mile out range rather than 50 feet from the car. It is good on trails and open fields and woods. If you need to do cliffs and stairs get a mule.

John Powers

7. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Velbon Carmagne 640 and will opt for a Manfrotto 410 geared head if I buy a 4x10 camera or a 405 if I buy a 5x12. Extra stabilization will be via a bunji cord or other stretching material stepped on to pull the legs inward and downward. One long cord wraps around the legs then through a loop at the bottom of the center column and then to the ground. I used the bunji method all the time when I shot 4x5 and it always worked quite well. The awkwardness of dealing with the bunji cord is a fair trade-off to extra tripod weight, IMHO.

8. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Bogen 3021 / Manfrotto 055 series leg set is good for most MF and for most 4x5 field cameras. I'd contend that it's not sturdy enough for many 4x5 monorails.

Lee

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andre, I have your precise setup and I've used it for 15 years. It's still terrific. I'll be buying a carbon fibre tripod before too long for weight reasons, but I'll be keeping my existing tripod for when I don't care as much about the weight.

I use a 4x5 Shen Hao on it and have no issues.