letting gelatin swell in cold water?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by phritz phantom, Sep 4, 2008.

1. phritz phantom

phritz phantom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    when using gelatin for coatings or else, i figured, everybody lets it swell in cold water for 10 min or so. out of impatience i always skipped that step and dissolved the gelatin in hot water directly (i using gelatin sheets).
    now i got curious if there might be advantages to gain in not skipping that step.
    is there a reason for doing it? all research on the net didn't get me any results.. but this could be a lack of special "keywords", all i get i cooking recipies.

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No difference whatsoever, as long as you dissolve it all. Gelatin has a tendancy to form "slugs" and "snots" in it if you don't allow it to dissolve completely. Making sure there are none is the only key in this!

I usually place my gelatin into water at RT and then heat with stirring to 40 - 60 C. That way I make 20% gelatin and store it for weeks at a time. A few drops of 10% Thymol in isopropyl alcohol will extend the keeping time.

Then, when ready to use, I scoop out some 20% and dilute it to my coating strength which is usually 5 - 10%.

Filtering through a mesh coffee filter is a good idea.

PE

3. phritz phantom

phritz phantom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    perfect. that's the same way i do it.
    thanks.