Lewis Hine

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by jgcull, Oct 24, 2007.

1. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

I just saw a beautiful documentary, by Walter Rosenblum's daughter, on Lewis Hine. She does a fine job as a film-maker and Hine's work is *fantastic*. I'm so glad I happened upon it.

I probably made this same comment about Rosenblum's work, but again, this (Hine's as well) is *exactly* what I love about photography! Can't rave enough.

2. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    was this on PBS television?

3. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

Hi Drew,

It's titled "America and Lewis Hine" by Nina Rosenblum (Walter Rosenblum's daughter) of Daedalus Productions. It was shown on the Documentary channel.

She also did a great documentary on her father called, "Walter Rosenblum: In Search of Pitt Street". They're online for a very reasonable price. (I have no connection to them. Just love her work, and theirs!)

Janet

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Could it be Naomi Rosenblum? She wrote the college textbook "A World History of Photography", Abbeville Press Publishers, NY, 3rd ed., 1997.
    I particularly like the quality and quantity of photographs.

John Powers

5. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

6. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  7. bwphoto

bwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Please check this out; From the New York Times 8/16/01 by Ralph Blumenthal
    "Shadows Cast by Forgery; the FBI Investigates Complaints About Lewis Hine Prints. I own a vintage Lewis Hine print, so this article back then recieved my undivided attention and a call and trip to the dealer I purchased it from. Turns out my print is legit but feel bad for the hundreds that were duped. There was also a feature article in the Atlantic Monthly (do not remember date of the Atlantic article) on the same topic re. Walter Rosenblum printing Lewis Hine negatives signing them and selling them as vintage. The smell of money has certainly not enhanced photography.

8. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

Yeah, I don't know about all that. I'll never purchase one, probably, but it's exactly the style I love - whoever did it. I've finally found a name for what I like. It's "social documentary".