LF Vintage Lenses are Fun

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Fotoguy20d, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not that I want these things to get any more popular than they already are, but...

I've become a big fan of old brass LF lenses lately. In addition to the big names - Dagor, Protar, T-R Triple - I've picked up quite a few no-name or somewhat obscure examples. On a LF excursion to Governors Island National Monument a few weeks ago, I packed my 4x5 Speed and four lenses - a 4x5 Gundlach doublet, Gundlach 5x7 Rectigraphic Triple, 125mm Dagor, and 210mm brass barrel Dagor.

Here's a photo of the Gundlach and one of Fort Jay, courtesy of that lens and a sheet of Delta 100. The lens came my way on the bay as part of a lot of 6 - an Ektar 127, 5x7 B&L RR, and three Seneca 4x5 Anastigmats. Turned out to be the gem of the bunch.

I always like to see what other are doing with their antiques so I'm hoping y'all follow my lead and share some favorite sleepers (so I can hunt them down and snap them up for myself:wink:)

Dan

Attached Files:

2. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be careful- it's kind of an addiction. It can get to the point where you can't decide if your hobby is collecting lens or photographing with them.

3. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not really a brass lens but an old one. My favorite lens is a 5x7 Rapid Rectilinear in a Kodak Ball Bearing Shutter. I usually set it to T and use the focal plane shutter on my Anni. The FL is 209mm.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a nice 165 Rapid R that needs put into a better shutter. Right now I only have 'I', 'B' or 'T'. I'm still fiddling around to find what speed I feally is, I'm thinking 1/50th is close.

5. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought an unbranded 12 1/2-20-28 triple convertible on ebay for $15. I thought it would be a junker lens for some Sally Mann type stuff. The lens was so good, I paid to have it mounted in a shutter. It's my main lens for 8x10.
    juan

6. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    first of all: too late! as you said, they are allready really popular.

But to be fair: it is highly addictive! I now have so many..... Too many to use, but I can't help my self..

I have a growing collection of soft focus lenses - true soft focus lenses (which can be quite expensive), and old meniscus type lenses (landscape lenses) which can be inexpensive. (take the lens part out of the barrel, and fit it to you camera, and watch magic happen!)