Light Box for Gum / Cyan prints

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by honeydo, Aug 7, 2008.

1. honeydo

honeydo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At a workshop they had these homemade boxes with long light bulbs in them. Like flourescent looking light bulbs.

I have now gotten my husband to agree to build one of these boxes, but what are the light bulbs? They were not black lights. Will the Plant grow lights work?

2. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sounds like an UV light box. If You look through the threads I am sure You can find detailed description on what You are looking to build. After reading another thread I wanted to try one of the face tanning lights. I took my materials to the lamp store and asked if I could try the lamp. It worked fine for cyanotypes. It is a nice size that can be place anywhere You want to. And the price is just 50 USD. I dont print much larger than 8x10", but if You need to print larger You should build You own or order a large one. Bostick and Sullivan have some very nice looking ones they sell.

3. 9circles

9circles Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yup - what Falkenberg said. UV tanning facial studio - I use a philips one - its really nice - very even and relatively controlable. I couldn't have built one cheaper than I bought it. I've only done up to 10x12 on it but have used it for gums, van dykes, cyanos, albumens .

4. Phil

Phil Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format