Light, compact, inexpensive tripod

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ronfmarshall, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ronfmarshall

ronfmarshall Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am looking for recomendations for a light, preferably compact, and inexpensive tripod to use on an upcoming trip. This is for use with a Mamiya 7so it doesn't have to be rock solid. I already have a good tripod for LF, so I don't want to spring for a CF Gitzo or equivalent.

I read the following review of the Velbon Luxi max. It sounds promising. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this tripod or if there is another light one they would recommend.

http://www.virtualtraveller.org/tripods/tripods.htm

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Manfrotto 058 in the studio and when I need maximum support, and a Manfrotto 055 for when I need something lighter. Recently I wanted a tripod to carry on a bicycle and was thus willing to compromise some rigidity to get a 4-section model. I bought a Manfrotto 719B (which I think has now been superseded bya 724?) and have been quite pleased with this.

Regards,

David

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    A lot depends on what you regad as 'inexpensive'. Both the Slik Snapman and Velbon Maxi 343 are very light -- about 1 kg each -- and compact but cost around $100: a lot more than comoparably specified tripods of inferior build quality. My wife and I use them with Alpas (the MF ones) so the Mamiya 7 should be fine. Used, the old MPP lightweight is hard to beat but it's not compact even though it weighs little more than the Slik and Velbon and will (just) support 4x5. They go for maybe GBP 20 each.

Cheers,

R. (www.rogerandfrances.com)

4. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto except for the latter :smile:
    I first bought the 058 but found it to heavy for lugging around so I purchased the 055 which I use for about everything from 35mm macro to 6X7 (Pentax) closeups and landscapes. I wonder though whether it will be adequate when I finally get that 5X7 :smile:
    Kind regards
    Søren

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm curious why you don't just use the one you have. If it is a CF tripod, it probably weighs the same as any cheap one you are likely to buy.

6. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent choice, gentlemen! My 055s been going strong since about 1984!! I'll use it for just about anything except 4x5 (though it COULD, technically, support most, lighter, 4x5s somewhat).

7. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    tripod

I recently bought a slik tripod made of magnesium and some carbon for around $100. I have it in a different place or I would post the model number. (I will post the exact model number next week.) The quick release is not the greatest in the world but it is strong and light. I'm using my 4x5 Wista on it. Highly reccommended!!! For the money it is a GREAT tripod ....
    Best, Peter

8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've just bought a 055MF3 for LF use.

It has no problems with any of my 4x5" or 5x7" cameras - and if I use a larger camera than that, I'll put the big wooden tripod in the car along with the camera.

Most LF cameras are easy to "balance" over the attachment point, and there's no SLR mirror causing vibrations. They actually demand less from a tripod than a MF SLR does!

9. ronfmarshall

ronfmarshall Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    On this trip I will be shooting mostly handheld, so I want something shorter than 20 inches and less than 1kg that will sit in my daypack, ready for the occasional use.

I have a Gitzo 1227; the weight is tolerable, but it's too long for a day pack.

10. Jos De

Jos De Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a chance to see that very tripod discussed in the largeformatphotography post, though I didn't try it out. It's very compact and light, as noted.
    It would go easily into any but the smallest daypacks.

13. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For an extremely small product, check out the Joby Gorillapod. My sister gave me one of these for my birthday. It's very small -- about 10 inches -- and it's got flexible legs that can be wrapped around tree branches, twisted into odd shapes, etc. It's certainly no substitute for a more conventional tripod, but it's handy if you're out hiking or something, don't want to carry a tripod, but want to have something to stabilize the camera in case it's necessary.