Light Leaks

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by gary in nj, Mar 20, 2017.

1. gary in nj

gary in nj Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought my college aged son an SRT201 for Christmas. He shot a few rolls while at school and while he was home for Spring break we developed the film.

The film shows light leakage at the upper and lower sprockets (can't read "Kodak" or the frame numbers anywhere on the film) on the frames. Indoor photos are usable but outdoor photos are overexposed across the frames - the greater the amount of ambient light - the worse the problem.

My thought is there is light getting past the shutter curtain. Is there a way to adjust this or is the camera now just a piece of history?

2. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    none of these old cameras seem to work without a proper servicing. cost $70-$100.

3. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It seems to me that you only need to change the light seals.
    It is an easy job when you know and have done a few cameras.
    The hardest is to remove the old light seals.
    See http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html
    There are also numerous You Tube videos about it.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most likely is what Ricardo says. The clue is it's fogging un the sprocket holes.
    Do that then go looking for less obvious problems.

5. OP
    gary in nj

gary in nj Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice guys - I never thought of that (obviously :smile: ). I checked the camera and the seals are in fact dry and flaky. There is also a rough edge on the lower part of the door itself, probably from the moisture that was held in the original seal. I'll order a seal kit from US Camera ($7.65 on ebay) and hopefully all will be good.

My son is really loving analog photography and darkroom work. When he went back to school this weekend he asked if he could bring my SRT-202 with him. I offered him my XD11 and he said - no thanks, I prefer the manual meter over the autoexposure. Good kid :smile:

6. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can also get light seal kits from John Goodman (jon_goodman@yahoo.com), he does not sell on ebay anymore but you can still contact him directly.

7. tdunn81

tdunn81 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ditto on the light seals. eBay or other sources (I used Jon Goodman in the past)...15-20 job and you're back in business for another 40 years.

8. OP
    gary in nj

gary in nj Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I replaced the light seals as suggested and shot a roll of film - all is good. Thanks for pointing out such an easy solution.

The kit I received from US Camera was a very good quality kit. I used a screwdriver with a 1mm head to remove the old seal, some alcohol to clean the surface and made a tool out of a q-tip to assist in getting the new seal in place.