Light meters

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I am wondering if there are any light meters out there that can measure fairly low light (like inside houses when it's dark) that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I should probably decloak the fact that I like to use a gray card - all the time - so it doesn't matter which kind I use, although I would probably prefer a spot meter since I'm trying to get into portraiture a bit more.

Thankful for some illumination,

- Thomas
    Saint Paul, Minnesota

PS. I hope I posted this in the right place, I couldn't find a really good spot for a lightmeter discussion.

2. mark

mark Member

Old gossen luna pros will do what you want. Mine is really old and works perfect.

3. AndyH

AndyH Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Absolutely - Luna pros are reliable and will work in very low "available darkness" situations. Older ones can be had relatively inexpensively. I would check on ebay.

4. dr bob

dr bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Roger. Gossen Luna Pro! But watch out! They use 1.35 volt mercury batteries which are extremely hard to find. A conversion is available but I haven't tried it yet. Silver/zincs may work, but a recalibration will be required, and some non-linearity will be observed.

5. Graeme Hird

Graeme Hird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm told Quantum lightmeters are the most sensitive, but I'm not sure if they're still available. Do a search and see what comes up.

I have a couple of Gossens and I'm happy with them.

6. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me chime in here with another bit of praise for a Gossen product, the Luna Pro F. Unlike the old Luna Pro which has a CDS cell, the Luna Pro F has uses a silicon blue cell which has better low light response. It also (very important) uses a regular 9 Volt battery instead of the mercury button cells. Another important feature (for me) it's also a flash meter. I've been using Luna Pro F's since the mid 1980's - they're great!

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto on what Bob said. I too use a Luna Pro F and am quite happy with its performance.
    gene

8. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can also add the Luna Pro SBC to the kist equally sensitive, null metering useful for Zone work and uses a 9 v. battery.

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ted - you beat me to it!

... what ted said :smile:

-john

10. PJC

PJC Member

Greetings,

Spectra light meters, used by all the cinematographers will do what you want. I dare say they can read the light in a dark closet.

Regards, Pete

11. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Back in college I used to pick up some extra cash by shooting the work of the art faculty and and students onto slides. One time, after shooting a bunch of paintings in a normal flood lit copy set up, the artist said that he really likes the way one of his paintings looks at night, by the light of his television set. We pulled the drapes, shut off the lights, turned on his TV, and I shot it. I used an old CDS Luna Pro. It came out quite nice.