Light Meters

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Graham.b, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Graham.b

Graham.b Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have done a search and there is a number of results to this with many different uses, so could some one make it a bit more lay mans terms.
    I very rarely do flash/photo. It is one of those one off times. So the next time it will be used......well i do not know. I get the call do a sitting for us.

Any way i have sorted down to a, Gossen Lunasix, pro six, and Sekonic 308s.
    To be used as said to do sittings, to read ambi light, i do like natural like, but sometimes a little fill can help.

Regards

Graham

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    All a light meter can do is give various settings allowing us to interpret any given light falling on a subject or reflection off a subject as 18% gray. All modern light meters do that. Look for a meter that best suits your needs, and works with the way you think, not against.

Just as no one camera can do it all, various light meters are compromises. See if you can try these meters in a camera store before using to make sure there are no features that bug you.

3. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Although it's very simple (only one button to push) the VCII has worked for me really, really well.

4. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Gossen Luna-Pro F will see you through most every light measuring situation including multiple pop situations if you ever plan to shoot large format with strobes. One of the last great analog light meters!

5. t al z

t al z Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm in a similar boat. Looking for a meter with ambient and flash capabilities. for me, it is between the sekonic l-358 or the l-308S. any opinions?

btw, still trying to find the difference between the l-308 and l-308s...

EDIT: there is no l-308. there is the older model of the 308s which is the 308B (AKA, L-308B II).

I think I'll go with the 308s as I like the small size, don't shoot in the studio that much and want it as something I can use for street shooting portraits...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used a Sekonic L358C for a few years. However I use on camera metering for my 35mm and an old Weston Master IV hand held meter in combination with flash guide numbers to figure out flash use ahead of time. A little bit of preparation goes a long way. And a deeper understanding of the Zone System, at least of general exposure, and the film you use never hurts.

7. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sekonic 308

Received a Sekonic 308 meter and noticed that in addition to the incident dome that slides over the sensor, there is a separate "high contrast" attachment, similar to the incident dome, but the surface is flat rather than domed. The manual suggests it for high contrast situations such as document copying. Would this be of any value for a high contrast scene as well, such as snow, etc?

8. Frank Szabo

Frank Szabo Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'll agree - I've used a LunaPro F for over 20 years (same one). I tried to use one of the "new and improved" digital wonders and rather quickly gave it back to its owner.

I've since bought another "F" model (used) just in case my original becomes non-repairable.

9. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The disk is used to measure the consistency of light over a flat area to make sure your lighting will be even ie:comparing corner to center evenness.

10. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Luna Pro F must have been one of the first, I've had it for so long.. I finally bought it when my Weston Master IV quit working. It has served me well. It is the analog model - which I VASTLY prefer. I really like the "null" system, with which you can easily set a reading to say, Zone 3 and then instantly see where a reading on another object falls. I wasn't sure I'd like that when I bought it, but soon learned how great it is. The new Pro F's are, I believe all digital, but you can find Luna Pro SBC's that offer the same analog system if you don't care about the flash meter.

11. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Graham;

The Gossen Lunasix is one of the meters I use also. I still find it to be good. I also have a Weston Master II and a Master V with the "Invercone" incident light reading attachment. I find the incident light metering function to be very useful.

The Gossen Luna-Pro F would be an asset if you get into a lot of flash photography.

12. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is wrong with the cheap, reliable, simple, non-plasticky, time-tested, practically unchanged in 50 years, non-battery dependent Sekonic Studio meter? You can figure your flash fill using experience and guide numbers just as quickly and accurately as you can take a flash reading (and far more conveniently). IMO, if you want a flash meter, get a FLASH METER like the Minolta, that only has one gizmo to worry about: the EI. If needed, use it alongside your ambient meter, instead of messing with buttons, menus, etc. on a one-thing-does-all overpriced plastic thingy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  13. T42

T42 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello Forum.

I have used Sekonic Studio Master, Gossen Luna Pro, and Weston Master II for incident/reflective, and gray card readings. They are all good for that. More recently, I have used a Sekonic L-308B for several years for reflected and incident ambient lighting and flash illumination measurement. It's a splendid little meter, pocketable, and runs on a common AA cell. Sensitive, and has no memory problems like CdS. The multifunctional control is not in the least confusing. I recommend it highly. I'm sure that its descendent, the L-308S is as good if not even better.

Happy day.

Henry Fisher in Atlanta

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  14. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  15. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have been using a Minolta Flashmeter IV for the past 20 years and I love it.
    In addition to it I have the 5 degree spot att and the mini-probe for places where I can not put the meter for reading.
    A great combo, that uses one AA battery.

What ever you will buy check out which battery it uses: AA, AAA and 9V block are OK, the rest can be a problem in the future.

Peter

16. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The disk is actually originally intended to meter light striking a piece of flat art, for reproduction.

It evolved in its use, to measure light from one light vs. the other for ratio set up, or to measure consistency across an area.

17. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used only Minolta meter and I have used Flashmeter II, Flashmeter III, Spotmeter M and Flashmeter VI. I think the Sekonic 308 can measure flash so it's an advantage if you need it.

18. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Luna Six for me. When I was a teenager [1970's], I used to look in the cabinets at the camera stores and wish that I could own one. Now I have two. They work perfectly for me. I use B&W almost all the time, and approximate exposures are often good enough. Now moving more and more to Sunny f/11 Rule.