Light seals.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone repaired/replaced the light seals of their SLR?
    I have done some minor camera repair and do have a nice lighted magnifier and proper tools but this would be a first for me.
    The camera is not leaking light but the gasket material is gummy and breaking down.

Thanks,
    JMK

2. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, I bought a light seal kit from Jon Goodman who is a very nice guy and is sometimes here in the APUG forums. Instructions are included and I think you can do several SLR's with the kit. I did three Yashica Electro 35 cameras and it worked out very well. I think the kits are under $10.

He is also on Ebay but I don't know his used ID. His email is

Jgood21967@aol.com

I Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2005
  3. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jon Goodman sells a great kit! Another email address is "Jon_Goodman@yahoo.com"

4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jon sells on Ebay with the ID of 'Interslice'. His kits are superb. I used one to reseal an OM-10, a Voigtlander Vito CLR, a Canonet QL17 GIII and an OM-1.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy beat me to it - here's a current listing:

Seals

6. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interslice - very good to deal with and very quick service to UK and, most likely, other parts of the world. I used a kit to repair an EOS.

7. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahh, that's the ID, thanks Andy.

8. sajianphotos

sajianphotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Piece of cake with Jon's kits. I've done all my Nikons.

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have to add to the praise of Jon's Kits, the kits are great and very reasonably price, well worth it..

Dave

10. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another "me too" response; I've got one of Jon's kits. I've not yet done any SLRs, but I've fixed up a Canonet QL17 and have another that needs this attention. It's pretty simple (both the materials and the procedure). Jon does a good job of putting together the stuff you need along with (most important of all, IMHO) detailed instructions so you'll know what to do with it.

11. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My old AE1 was leaking like a sieve - I picked up the first kit I saw - it was from Cameraseals.com. First off, the work is simple, very simple - the only thing required is some patience when removing the old material (by far the hardest/most tedious part of the whole process). Anyone can do it.
    Last but not least - I have since seen John's (interslice) kits... well, not that the one I got was bad, but lets put it this way: after seeing the quality of the foam, the kit, the instructions - I know where my next order is coming from! Having tried the competition, and even though I did not have a bad experience, I would have to add my vote to the ones already cast for the interslice kits.

12. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was able to purchase a self adhesive kit for an older Leica slr from their US service center for a low price, forget the cost now, but I think on the order of $11 or so. I also have used adhesive felt and thin foam sheeting from a local craft store, and acrylic yarn (long filament stuff that doesn't shed) with a tiny bit of contact cement. I like the yarn idea because it doesn't go bad like standard OEM replacement foam might. I haven't used the interslice stuff, but I believe his foam is a higher grade that doesn't decompose like a lot of the original stuff does.

Lee

13. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and the foam is nicely pre-cut to the right width.

14. knutb

knutb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same experience here - shipping to Norway was quick and very reasonably priced. And note that a kit includes far more materials than will be required for one camera - I've replaced light seals and mirror dampers on an OM-1, and I have plenty of materials left for another two or three bodies.

Knut